Anyone with the Macbook Keyboard issues having problems besides when waking up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilovemygeek, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

My Macbook's keyboard stopped working for a solid 5 minutes. I had sent a email and was on Safari for a couple of minutes when I went to type something and it locked up on me. So far in the week I've had this Macbook the only time it froze was coming out of sleep so now I'm wondering if its a Safari problem, Leopard, or a hard ware issue.

2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'm having similar problems. It's coming in and out. It'll work for a bit, then go dead. Same with the trackpad. It's super annoying and just started today. I've had the laptop for 5-6 months and this is the first time I've had the problem. Did Leopard do this?

3. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Well the Genius told me its a known issue with Leopard and Macbooks, my last one didn't do it nearly as much as this one is. I read on the Apple forum that its really really really common, I'm debating returning this one and waiting a bit to see if they can fix the problem b/4 I buy another one.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Just got off the phone with Apple.

It's a software issue, and they've identified it and are working on a fix. Sounded to me like it's a Leopard related problem.

She suggested using an external keyboard.

I felt it was probably not the best suggestion for a laptop. :rolleyes:

5. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm i'm wondering if if I should return mine or just deal with it in the meantime. On one hand, no stuck pixels, which is a plus lol

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

If it's a software issue, getting a replacement won't solve your problem.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I've had similar problems on my macbook pro. I had assumed it was a hardware defect as well. Mine started after I upgraded to Leopard as well. I'm thankful that it isn't a hardware problem, because my mbp has given me no other problems.

8. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Gah, its frozen on me 3 times today. My last Macbook only froze up once. I'm wondering if my Bluetooth Mighty mouse is contributing to this.

9. psiachris macrumors member

i just had the oddest freeze yet. macbook was idle while i was eating, came back to it and all of the letter keys worked plus space bar but none of the other keys. i noticed it when i tried to ctrl -> to shift spaces. return dead also.

reboot fixed it but i hope it's fixed soon and that it's software related. i don't want to have to schlep to an apple store to deal with it but will if i must.

otherwise, i'm a happy switcher.

10. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have a bluetooth mighty mouse? So far no issues once I stopped using it.

11. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Thus far I've gone a couple of days without it locking up. I suspect its some interaction with my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. I'm going to try it with my wired Mighty Mouse to see if the problem returns. Knock on Wood it won't b/c tomorrow is my 14 day window and I really don't want to have to exchange it again.

12. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

They better get this fixed soon! Tonight it has been crazy! It keeps going to sleep and I have to keep pressing something until it wakes up. An external keyboard will work for winter break, but this better be fixed soon.

Maybe I will send an email to Steve.

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That won't do anything people have that apple is working on it just wait.

14. TraustiB macrumors member

I've had this issue on 2 MacBooks my friends bought this year. They brought them to me to check this out. Heres a thing I tried last weekend that seemed to have fixed the problem sofar, keyboards have not gone unresponsive. They used to go AWOL 2-3 times every hour for 30-60 seconds each time.

Open terminal.

type:
    Code:
    sudo update_prebinding -force -root /
    type your password

Hit return

Wait for the prompt (User name) to appear and restart. The restart might take a minute or two, just be patiente.

Hope this helps

15. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

It's definitely a Leopard's bug. I've got it immediately after installing the 10.5. Nothing wrong with the hardware.

sash

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Odd, I updated to Leopard and I have had no issues with the keyboard.

17. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I recently picked up a MBP w/ Leopard and just yesterday I noticed the same thing. I had Safari, Finder, & iTunes open and was browsing thru Safari...when I went to go back a page (CMD + Home) and it didn't respond.

Whatever, I just went and clicked the button. So then I switched to iTunes and tried to get info on a song (CMD + I) and nothing. Go back to Safari and nothing as well...

Anyway, closed Safari and opened it again, the keys started to work for a little and then the keyboard just stopped. So I restarted the computer and it's worked since. I was so worried it was a "bad" keyboard, just know it's a software issue doesn't make me feel any better.:(

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Reason #34769 why I'll be installing Tiger when my MB lands this week. I don't have time to play test pilot like you guys do. I need my Macbook to work, not to run beta OSes.

19. oligore macrumors member

oligore

I think its a loose connection. Mine was broken for ages but then I went for a walk, with the laptop in my bag and it miraculously fixed itself. Its been fine for a week.:)

20. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Sigh, it went almost a week with no issue and then froze up last night while I was Calibrating my monitor, so the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse wasn't the cause.

21. jcs1088 macrumors regular

got my SRMB the week it came out and the keyboard would randomly stop working. when the 10.5.1 update came out everything was fine, but for the past few days my keyboard stopped working again.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Should have said "I don't have one - I have a £1000 laptop with a keyboard on it that I assumed would work. Send me a free keyboard and I'll use that"

Doug

23. filman408 macrumors regular

If its a Santa Rosa x3100 MB, you wont want to install Tiger. You wont see anything on the screen as a result.

24. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

25. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Mine's been completely dead since last Thursday. Bluetooth and backlight still work but keyboard and trackpad do nothing.

They've known about this since at least mid-November.