Anyone with time machine restore issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndersOlson, Jun 18, 2009.

1. AndersOlson macrumors member

I just sold my 15" unibody macbook pro and did a time machine backup before selling it. Upon receiving my new 13" MBP I did a full restore in leopard. After everything was complete and a restart done I started experienceing problems. First the unit ran very slow, then the sound didn't work at all. My unit registered no sound card attached at all. The battery life was horrible as well. Instead of attempting to return the unit I figured i'd wipe it clean and try to start from scratch. After doing all this the unit started working perfectly again. Battery was great, sound worked, and performance seemed on par with a 2.26Ghz machine. Anyone else experience similar problems?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've only done TM restores on the same machine. I use Migration Assistant when switching machines.

3. AndersOlson thread starter macrumors member

Difference?

What is the difference? I've been using macs for a long time so I feel kind of stupid asking this.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well, the TM restore is exactly that: it copies your backup identically to your new hard drive. Migration Assistant will transfer a User account, settings, and Applications but will NOT touch the System Components. What I think happened with your 13" and 15" restore problem, was that the TM restored stuff from the 15" to your 13" that is not right. And thus problems occurred.

I would recommend that you just copy stuff from your TM backup to your new install on your 13" (don't restore). It's kind of a pain, but I have no idea how to solve the problems you've described and thus take the long route.

5. AndersOlson thread starter macrumors member

Thank

Thanks a ton, thats what I figured was the problem but it'd nice to have some input as well. Thanks again

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Which OS disk did you use? The one for the 15" or the 13"?

7. AndersOlson thread starter macrumors member

I used the one for the 13"

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

There goes my theory...

I know that a lot of people online say that you can use Time Machine Restore to transfer files, but in all honesty I'm a little skeptical. This wasn't the original intent of the program, so maybe Apple didn't account for all potential problems. I'm sorry you ran into possible issues. Next time, I might just use Migration Assistant. Personally, I always do a fresh OS install and reinstall everything manually (applications, transfer files, etc.).