Anyone with transintl prodrive+2 SSDs with experience they could pass along?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rotarypower101, Dec 31, 2010.

1. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    Is this device worth looking into if all that is needed is a raid solution for 2 2.5 SSD drives?

Are there any similar devices that essentially accomplish the same task of running 2 SSD drives on a single sled port? Or perhaps is a better value for the dollar or a more practical solution?

What are the pro/cons of using this over a standard raid card?

Are there any hidden issues when using this device over a standard card?

Any issues with bootcamp or running Parallels with this VS a card?

Any reading material I could go over that may inform me better to a correct/better raid solution with 2 2.5 SSD drives?

I also have a sonnet E4P card and a generic Silicone image SIL3132 2 port PCIe cards kicking around if this may be a better way to go? as well as a lot of external storage containment vessels.

2. steffi macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2003
    I have no experience with this device but I strongly suggest you forget about the IcyDock one.

I ended up with MaxUpgrades MaxConnects with each SSD taking up a single HDD bay.

3. NoManIsland macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2010
    Stay away from the ProDrive, especially as a way to install SSDs, as it is splitting the bandwidth of the internal bay (using port multiplication), and thus badly bottlenecking the drives inside, especially SSDs.