Anyone work for PC World? [UK]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Today I went for an interview with PC World. Their recruitment process is a 3 stage process. On the first day you have to pass the reasoning exam and a personiality test. If you are successful, then you get called back for an interview.

Today I sat the reasoning and personality test and was invited to an interview tomorrow.

I was just wondering if anyone here works for the company and can tell me what I can expect at the interview?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shaun

2. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I don't work for them but I believe the interview consists of just one question:

"Ok then Mr X. Do you know anything about computers?"

"Erm.....not really"

"Congratualtions, you're hired!"

;)

Seriously though - good luck with the interview.

3. iGav macrumors G3

PC World staff have to pass a personality test? it can't be all that challenging if my experiences in their stores are anything to go by. Weheh.

Seriously though, I'll echo what MacRy has said... good luck with the interview, they need some more Mac folk on their payroll. ;)

P.S. Whatever happened with the Odeon thing?

4. Queso macrumors G4

Shaun, if it's the Tottenham Court Road branch, can you tell them to keep the ******* noise down after 10pm?

5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I don't work for them, but did interview with them back in September (part time uni job).

The management guy, who was very decent it had to be said, pretty much had a natter with me about computing, customer service, and seemed to like me. Then he got down to business, discussed the (low) wage and asked me straight out if it was a problem - I said not, as any money would help, and it'd keep me occupied. Then it got to the worst bit - discussing sales policy.

Earlier on in the chat, I had said that, where possible, I wouldn't just advise customers to buy a PC from us, that I would also write down some websites for free (legal) software to set themselves up, to save the company more problems in the future, and to make a happier customer more likely to return. The likes of AVG, Google Earth, Picasa, and so on. I was told straight out that if I were employed it is company line to push Norton anti-virus and system tools, and to aim for a 50-75% conversion rate on extended warranties. The free software thing was absolutely not on, either. I'm not against extended warranties - although a profit centre for the store, they can also save the customer money. But I am against Norton, because it has been proven to damage computers. Equally, I know of no cheap alternatives to Earth or Picasa that PC World sell, hence mentioning them. I wanted to take issue with this, but not by attacking the policy.

So, when he asked me point blank if I had a problem with pushing either of these, I compromised, and said that if I raised the topic of either and the customer showed willing I would happily continue. If I was met with a brick wall I would leave it. After saying that, I found myself involuntarily saying: "That isn't the answer that's going to get me a job, but it is the truth."

Needless to say, I didn't hear back.

I appreciated the fact that the interview was straight, he made no attempt to deceive me about the realities of retail, profit margins on software vs hardware, and so on. That kind of caveat wasn't something I was prepared to do in what essentially is my spare time - if I was more willing I'd probably have got the job. The money would have been nice, but I could afford to keep my integrity for one more year until student life is over. :)

6. johnnyi08 macrumors newbie

I was looking for a job in PC World how the **** do u apply for the job i cannot find it anywhere help would be grateful. What is the minimum wage at pc world ?

Jonathan

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I worked in Currys (Same Group) and also applied for a Job in PC World, I just went into the store went to customer services and asked for an application form.

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

they have jobs at PCWorld ? wow i thought they grew all there staff in jars

9. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I was thinking about getting a job at my Local PC World for some extra cash. Does anyone know the minimum age limit? I'll be 16 soon but I know that the Apple Stores are a minimum of 17 years old (if lucky)... but there isn't an Apple store near me (Although considering there is a University here which does a lot of Media stuff - has a HECK load of Mac Pros, eMacs and iMacs from what I saw when I went on work experience there - it would make perfect sense to place one here... how about instead of the Sony centre? ;)) so I can't get a job there... So PC World is probably the next best option, methinks...