Anyone work for Target or Walgreens, or know...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Anyone here work at Target or walgreens and know how much they start paying workers at?

Thinking of working summers.
    :confused::confused: :rolleyes:

Thanks,
    Greg

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I worked at Target a few years back and starting pay was based on the amount of previous experience you had.

But you can't really get an accurate answer on a forum, because a Target on the west coast where cost of living is high is going to start you out at a lot more than a Target in the middle of nowhere in the midwest where the COL is nothing.

3. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I live in Phoenix, Az so should it be higher pay?

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I worked for target a few years back also. A lot depends on your previous work experience and what job you are applying for. If you are putting in for cart puller you will start at min wage or slightly higher. You will get lest then 32 hours a week and no benefits. If you have experience and they bring you in as a level 2 or 3 you will make more money. If you are going into AP (Asset Protection IE loss prevention) then you will be a 40 hour a week with benefits off the bat.

I don't know what Az cost of living is or the min wage.

Just go down and start asking around and fill out the application.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

At Target assuming you're going to be doing a level 1 type job (cashier, inventory, etc), then your pay will start at something like 25 cents above minimum.

If you qualify for a level 2 type job (you're a currency counter or you are in charge of a specific part of the Target like the foodcourt or shoes or jewelry), then I think it's usually around 1.5 times minimum (out here in the Bay Area, but not San Francisco, when I worked at Target, starting was $7, level 2 was $11 or $12, and supervisor or "Team Leader" was $14-$16).

Mind you this was how it was in the Bay Area in 2005; your mileage may vary by location, and especially by time, since the Federal minimum wage increase did affect several states.

Since you mentioned summers, I assume you're going to be doing this as a student, and I suggest that you don't. Target is a good place to see how horrid retail is, but by no means should you work for more than one summer. Instead, find a job that you can link to something you do in school, or one that gives you some other advantage (ie, it makes use of a special skill you have, or it allows you to learn more about your chosen industry).

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

I had a friend who work at Target a couple of years ago (2006, I think) in Tucson, AZ. He got ~$9.00 working as a general employee, and ~$12-13 at the photo area (after working there for a couple of months, maybe a year, not sure), but he switched back after a couple of weeks because it was so boring.

7. idyll macrumors 6502

My GF used to work for them when she went to high school and started at ~$9 I think, that was like 4 years ago though.

8. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

My sister works for Walgeeens. She started about 6 years ago with an entry level position. She learned about some of their training programs and was trained as a pharmacy tech.

She now has a desk job and is in charge of pharmacy scheduling for 150 stores in Colorado.

If you have the drive and are constantly seeking ways to move up the food chain, you can.

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Walgreens is a great place to work. You will have a lot of opportunities for advancement into any area. The management training program is top notch...if you want to eventually go in that direction. There are also many summer internships available (if you are in college) but it's too late to do so for this year. Working in one of the stores will teach you valuable lessons about retail and business, in general. They also understand a student's need for a work-school balance.

The nice thing about Walgreens is that the company actually truly values employees, very highly. You would have a great time working there. I highly recommend Walgreens.