Anyone work from home?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by entatlrg, Oct 18, 2011.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I don't like working at a desk, for whatever reason sitting there rigid in work mode I'm less relaxed and in turn less creative is the only way I can explain it.

I do industrial design for a living and benefit from using large monitors. Hard to do when I prefer not to sit at a desk.

Right now around the house I'm using a 13" MacBook Air, love the size and weight but crave the larger screen.

Anyone else here work from home or do design work? What's your set up? Recomendations appreciated.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I work from home with a laptop, however, I usually sit at a desk to promote productivity. That's just me personally though. I get distracted away from the desk.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I work from a desk since that makes for an easier to deduct "home office."

Plus I like a larger monitor and I like having files and research material at hand

4. thormarketing macrumors member

I work from home and use a 27" Cinema Display and a cheapo Samsung as the secondary. You can't beat the screen real-estate of a Desktop setup with dual+ displays. I do internet marketing and so constantly have several webpages/applications/windows open, researching on one and copying-pasting to others... it would be possible to use a laptop, but the Desktop setup is preferred for a lot of intense, full-day work. I still need to work on the ergonomics a bit though as I'm still not 100% happy with my chair/keyboard/mouse setup, though it is much nicer than using a Laptop still.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

I have a "half and half" job, as I do lighting design for exhibitions, among other things. I'm a freelancer, so I'm not working a regular schedule. But, I do a lot of my work from home doing all the pre-prep work, then go on site to do the install work.

When I'm at home, I'm generally working on my 17" MBP with a 23" Cinema Display attached. When I go on the road, I just unplug the laptop and wake it with me.

The MBP+external display gives me all the benefits of a multi-monitor desktop setup, with immediate portability if desired. I was considering upgrading to a 27" iMac with an additional 27" external display, but holding off for right now.

6. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I work from home 95% of the time, on a company-issued VAIO laptop. Unlike most people on here, though, I work mostly from my couch and bed - no joke. And since I live in Florida, a lot of the time I work outside in my backyard, next to the pool. I hate being tethered to a desk.