Anyone work with their MBP in smokey Club?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLadybug, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Anyone out there use their MBP in a Club environment night after night where it is exposed to Cigarette smoke? If so, have you experienced any problems? We've had battery issues with a MBP since we got it 2 years ago. It is covered by AppleCare. My son started using it to DJ with since May. I have been told everytime the notebook goes in, that "next time" they will replace it. Now that it's being used in a club environment, they don't want to replace it. They want to blame the cigarette smoke in the night clubs. Of course this doesn't discount the fact that prior to this I have pages of documented instances of power failure issues.

So, if you smoke or work in a smokey place, do you have any issues with your MBP because of it?

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just because its a club why does it have to be smokey?

Sounds fishy. I bet if you bumped it to the next higher person in the chain it would get resolved.

I don't see how smoke could interfere so much with a laptop, unless the romm was smoked out.

3. Horst Guest

What, you can smoke in clubs in Florida ?! ;)

I'm a heavy smoker, and that means I need to clean my screens more frequently.

There is not one single other thing cigarette smoke can do to a computer.

Well, maybe the DVD drive's lens can suffer a bit after many years of constant exposure, or maybe not.
    A coal oven or wood stove, that's a different matter.

Humidity, heavy air conditioning - constantly moving a computer from hot to cold environments, now that will certainly be a major factor re. lifespan.

Those guys are bs-ing you, no doubt.

4. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

A little bit of a twist...

We thought the Cigarette Smoke was bunk too. As it turned out, it was smokey on the inside, but not from Cigarettes. This laptop had power issue history form day one. Already had the bottom case, speakers and a few other parts replaced, but obviously it was still over heating cause the smoke was from it burning up inside. Once Apple figured out the over-heating issue had not been repaired on numerous visits to the Genius Bar, they issued my son a replacement. He went from an early '07 MacBook Pro to the new Unibody Pro. He is ecstatic. I really believe in AppleCare now, as does he. I wouldn't be without it now.

5. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Gotta love Applecare! Just got my Rev A plastic Macbook replaced for a brand new Unibody Macbook today. Best $150 I've ever spent! :D

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

thats great you got a replacement! usually you need and extremely smokey area for the fans to get clogged up, and then you get over heating issues...blah blah.. kinda like a chain reaction, but i doubt that would even be the problem, and it wasnt =D

7. kolax macrumors G3

On the discussion of smoke:

My old flat used to be a hot box consistently (student life..:rolleyes:) and I began to notice after a few months that the fans in my MBP were coming on full blast and making a whining noise, even though the temperature wasn't that high. Eventually, about 8 months later, my GPU fried and took out my display with it. When I took it in for repair at Cancom (UK Apple reseller) I got it back and they said that the fans were clogged up with grud and the air circulation was probably very poor because of it.

All they did was replace the logic board (and display) - and when I got home with it, it was noticeably cooler and the fans were idle and only really reached 4000rpm when encoding video. Of course, my optical drive ate a DVD and mucked itself up so they replaced it because it wasn't seen worthy of repairing.

The new unibody MacBook Pro's allow you to easily remove the bottom casing and actually clean the fans and airways. I'm not in a smokey environment anymore, but I'm going to have a look at the fans in 6 months time and see if there is any build up of grud on it.

8. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Great idea... I'll pass that information along and make sure that my son does the same thing. It will be interesting to see what the inside looks like after a few months.

9. zebbz macrumors member

not sure if its of any help

but my dad smokes
    and his computer always always has problems even though it used to be better and newer than most of the others in the household

there is quite a bit of dust in our house which means all the computers do get a bit dusty and have to go through quite a bit of cleaning

but my dads one always has extra thick, more yellowy, grimier dust
    i'm pretty certain it is because he smokes in front of his computer

10. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

How would they know if was used in a club or smoked atmosphere unless there was evidence?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I've had three generations of Powerbooks and MacBooks used in club environments and its never been an issue.

12. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

The first big clue is that it has his DJ name in huge stickers on the outside of the notebook. DJ****

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Either remove the stickers before sending it in or claim he's an online DJ or makes techno at home.

I would avoid Fabreezing it though. :D

14. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

From 3/07 -5/08 it was in my possession and still had numerous power issues and several repairs. My son had it from 5/07 - present. It was in for power issues twice before this business after Christmas, the last time being October. They opened it and serviced it and said NOTHING about any smoke issue. We do believe they finally realized that the smoke was form the original over-heating/power issues... and as I said earlier in the thread, Apple did issue a replacement.

I just wanted some opinions about the smoke when they first threw out that objection. But it's all good now and he has a new laptop. We are going to keep a close eye on this one and see if anything starts clogging or building it up on it. But I have a feeling it will be fine.

15. SamSchneeberger macrumors member

Most Pro DJs use MBPs.

And there must be a reason they keep on using them. I've used my old IBM in clubs, wasn't a problem so I guess the MBP shouldn't be any different.

16. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I agree, it seems to be the notebook of choice for most anyone in the entertainment industry... technicians, musicians, DJs, etc.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Logic Pro. And FireWire.

18. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...smoke in a club wouldn't really show much... now a "fog" machine using either water or oil based "fog" juice could be potentially damaging but that would be to any brand of computer that wasn't kept clean and well ventilated...

I've been running clubs since 1993 - you just have to take care of your gear with some basic TLC and it will take care of you:D