Anyone working on sailboat racing apps for Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Dr. Lee-vil, May 12, 2015.

1. Dr. Lee-vil macrumors newbie

Dr. Lee-vil

I found one app so far but it is limited. It seems like there is huge potential for an app that can count down to the start using haptic feedback so you never need to even look at the watch once you get comfortable with it. After the start some haptic feedback about speed and heading (lifting or knocking) would be great. I think you could also ping the ends of the starting line and give a pretty good distance to line read out as well. And of course, tracking the race and posting your track to your account, sharing on Facebook, etc. would be desired features.

I know sailing is an obscure sport and limited market, but sailors do have money and would not be averse to paying for a quality app that worked across iPhone, iPad and Watch.

BTW, I sailed five races last weekend in wet and cold conditions with no ill effect on the watch. We didn't join the swim team though.

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Very cool. Do you keep the phone handy, so gps track could be recorded?

It'll be neat if someone does this for the watch. In the meantime, have you looked at the garmin gps watch for boating?

3. Dr. Lee-vil thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr. Lee-vil

Yes the iPhone 6 is onboard in a dry box with GPS apps recording the races for later playback and analysis.

I have not tried the Garmin watch, although I did have a Suunto compass watch once.

4. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Both Suunto and Garmin have 'watches' with gps internally now. The Suunto has some ability to add programs or macros, and some people have tried a few sailing calculations. The Garmin Quatix is a marine watch and has some sailing functions built in. Not sure about race functions though, it's been a while since I read about it.

The Quatix has one of the best man overboard functions I've seen as well. It can integrate with a Garmin unit on boat to help track/locate someone overboard.