Anyone works with Xcode 4.5.1 in MBPr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jffluis, Oct 22, 2012.

1. jffluis, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

Hi folks, I'm searching for people who works with Xcode in a MBPr since I'm at college and I work a lot with Xcode and scrolling through the code in fullscreen this thing ****ing lags!
    This is normal? How can this be possible? Intel HD4000 CAN drive text at 2880x1800 smoothly and I know what I'm talking about.
    PS: The diferences between HD4000 and GT650M scrolling in Xcode are MINIMAL, so what is goin' on? Driver issue must be!

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I don't notice lag running Xcode on my rMBP. Most of my files are router and server config files though. I use custom projects to pull and deploy configs over SCP with Ruby. I do minimal Obj C work in it.

3. jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

jffluis

I work with C too. Try to put the window on full screen mode and scroll with touchpad. Now i have arround 400 lines of code and it lags scrolling!

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

This is complete theory. Try running a game in the background in windowed mode. Don't have one? Grab a free one (Open GL) from the App Store. Get that dGPU running in the background and see if the lag quits. If it does, it's an HD4000 issue. Not much to do there, but at least it will give you an idea if you want to keep the system or not.

5. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I'm looking at an 1100+ line java source file and a 300 line .jason file concurrently right now and I don't see any lag. What do you have for dram? Anything else running? I have 16GB and see no lag even with a w28KR2 virtual machine running in the background under VMWare.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452267

Try an SMC reset?

It's not normal. I work with 10,000+ lines in XCode and Eclipse all the time at 1920 x 1200 scaled mode, and when my rMBP is not throttled by the EFI bug, there is no lag.

7. jffluis, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

jffluis

But are you talking about running Xcode in fullscreen mode without lag?

EDIT: I tried SMC Reset and does not work, all the same.. The code has smooth scrolling in Window Mode but when i switch to Fullscreen it's choppy!

MY CONFIG IS 2.6/16/512

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

Not sure why you need to run in fullscreen. If you develop for iOS, it's better to run in windowed mode because then you can have your XCode window and the iOS Simulator displaying at the same time.

But other than that, yeah, I'm also talking about fullscreen. It makes no sense that there should be any lag. Mine is a base 2.3/8/256 configuration.