Anyone Worried about Input Challenges? (No Keyboard, just Siri?)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rhyzome, Apr 8, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Is anyone worried about the Apple Watch only having Siri as a mode of input?

A big part of what I hope to be able to do with this device is use it to quickly edit/review my reminders/to-do lists as thoughts spontaneously come. I remember seeing another person on the forums who mentioned they wanted to do this in the shower--weird as it may be, I have the same need!

Is anyone worried about the Siri input being cumbersome or not working in certain contexts? In the shower for example, I doubt Siri will register much of anything when I want to make a reminder to buy kale. I'll probably want to look at it and add reminders in public settings--the library, hallways, elevators. While talking aloud to the watch can be a conversation starter in some places, the whole point of the watch is discreetly being able to access iphone features without the hassle of taking the phone out. There are going to be contexts where I don't want people knowing that Im reminding myself to buy kale (or something worse!). Plus, I just don't want to be seen talking to the watch.

Are there alternative input methods I don't know about? Has this been talked about in reviews?

I could imagine a tiny (virtual) keyboard that would be manageable for brief notes if one used a stylus pen, for example...

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think that's missing the point of what the watch is meant for. You sound like you just want the phone on your wrist, which the watch doesn't do (yet). (That's not meant to sound offensive (sorry if it does!), just an observation.)

I see it as much more of a content consumption device rather than creation (I use that term fairly loosely). For example, the watch would be great to remind you about buying the kale later in the day, but at the moment, it doesn't seem terribly useful for creating reminders.

(Did I use too many brackets then? I think I did.)

3. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

>I remember seeing another person on the forums who mentioned they wanted to do this in the shower--weird as it may be, I have the same need!

Justforgedaboudid. Touch screens are not useable in the water. The moment the droplets will start activating random actions on your watch will be the last time you'd want to take it to the shower. Trust me, I've been using a smartwatch for 6 months.

These are just impractical wet dreams of people who've never used a touch screen smartwatch before.

4. sterl320 macrumors 6502

If there is anything that you feel you will need a keyboard to do, then the watch shouldn't be your go to device. That screen is way too small for anything like that, even with the button. Just imagine how small each button will be, and how non-precise and downright annoying that will be.

If you had to take a stylus pen out of your bag or pocket to write on the watch, you could easily just pull out your phone instead. The input on your watch is meant to be for quick jabs of info, and makes it much quicker and more convenient to do with the watch instead of the phone. Anything more extraneous than that should be done with the phone instead.