anyone worried about the heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljx718, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ljx718 macrumors 6502

I'm just a bit worried about the heat in the retina macbook. with it being so thin and having the same specs as the larger macbook pro ( which already gets a bit toasty) I just think its going to really burn. Any hands on reviews talked about this yet?

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I don't think it will be too much of a problem now that they're redesigned the cooling system.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Watch the video on the MBP. They describe the enhancements to the cooling system.

4. children macrumors regular

it seems like the cooling system is great for the user, but will piss off anyone next to you on the bus or the train :D
    (the vents go sideways to expel heat)

5. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Aren't the vents on the sides intaking air, and pushing it out the back like previous gens?

6. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

they intake air from the side.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they draw in air on the sides and exhaust through the rear.
    Previous gens used the rear vents for both intake and exhaust.

8. children macrumors regular

9. Freyqq, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

Freyqq macrumors 68040

Not worried at all. The same heat is being produced as before. It has 2 fans..same as before. In addition, it has those side vents. It's just thinner and lacks an ODD, which didn't help or hurt cooling anyway.

10. Vctr macrumors regular

The reasons you stated are reasons why you SHOULD BE worried.

The laptop is substantially thinner AND still has the "same 2 fans". That is going to hurt cooling A LOT.

Now I know that Apple showed a video where it talks about its revolutionary fan design ... but I'd like to see it work in practice, before I eat up their marketing.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not just the fans. The intake vents are new and it is yet to be determined what thermal impact the new design will make. I think a "wait and see" approach is more appropriate than worrying.

12. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Might be a stupid question but don't the flash drives and new processors work mo efficiently, reducing heat output?

13. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Not at all, if you want to know more about the cooling system on the new MacBook Pro, go to Apple website and have a look at the video :D