anyone worried about the heat?

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I'm just a bit worried about the heat in the retina macbook. with it being so thin and having the same specs as the larger macbook pro ( which already gets a bit toasty) I just think its going to really burn. Any hands on reviews talked about this yet?

Acidsplat

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I don't think it will be too much of a problem now that they're redesigned the cooling system.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm just a bit worried about the heat in the retina macbook. with it being so thin and having the same specs as the larger macbook pro ( which already gets a bit toasty) I just think its going to really burn. Any hands on reviews talked about this yet?
Watch the video on the MBP. They describe the enhancements to the cooling system.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
it seems like the cooling system is great for the user, but will piss off anyone next to you on the bus or the train :D
(the vents go sideways to expel heat)

Acidsplat

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
it seems like the cooling system is great for the user, but will piss off anyone next to you on the bus or the train :D
Aren't the vents on the sides intaking air, and pushing it out the back like previous gens?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, they draw in air on the sides and exhaust through the rear.
Aren't the vents on the sides intaking air, and pushing it out the back like previous gens?
Previous gens used the rear vents for both intake and exhaust.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Not worried at all. The same heat is being produced as before. It has 2 fans..same as before. In addition, it has those side vents. It's just thinner and lacks an ODD, which didn't help or hurt cooling anyway.

Last edited:

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
Not worried at all. It has 2 fans..same as before. It's just thinner and lacks an ODD, which didn't help or hurt cooling anyway.
The reasons you stated are reasons why you SHOULD BE worried.

The laptop is substantially thinner AND still has the "same 2 fans". That is going to hurt cooling A LOT.

Now I know that Apple showed a video where it talks about its revolutionary fan design ... but I'd like to see it work in practice, before I eat up their marketing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The reasons you stated are reasons why you SHOULD BE worried.

The laptop is substantially thinner AND still has the "same 2 fans". That is going to hurt cooling A LOT.

Now I know that Apple showed a video where it talks about its revolutionary fan design ... but I'd like to see it work in practice, before I eat up their marketing.
It's not just the fans. The intake vents are new and it is yet to be determined what thermal impact the new design will make. I think a "wait and see" approach is more appropriate than worrying.

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Might be a stupid question but don't the flash drives and new processors work mo efficiently, reducing heat output?

henry72

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Not at all, if you want to know more about the cooling system on the new MacBook Pro, go to Apple website and have a look at the video :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.