Anyone worried we may be charged subscriptions once Push Notifications arrive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aurial, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Aurial macrumors 6502

Is anyone else concerned that we may have to start paying subscriptions for apps once the Push Notifications thing comes in?

I mean look at apps like Palringo for example. It's free and doesn't rely on any annoying adds within the app. But when the push notifications come out they're going to have to keep every single Palringo user constantly signed in to all of their IM accounts all the time which is going to be a massive load on their servers, and then push thousands of updates a minute in the direction of Apple's servers to update everones phones.

It seems to me that they're going to need to add quite a bit of hardware their end. So my question is, with these free apps where's the incentive to support push notifications? And if they do then where is the money going to come from to cover their overheads?

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

instead of subscriptions they probably will just charge per user; so to continue your Palringo example, they may sell you "Palringo Plus" for 9.99 that includes push, and "Palringo Lite" which is non push.

It's a good question, and might shed some more light on why Apple (and most of the devs) have gone totally silent on push notifications.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it will work that way.

Wouldn't their server only send data to Apple when there IS a message? It will be like e-mail...once something exists, it gets sent. If there's no message, nothing gets sent.

4. Aurial thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry I haven't really explained myself very well there.

What I meant was that there would be thousands of updates sent because of all the new updates for all users, not just you/me/whoever.
    There must be thousands of IM's sent every minute around the world and any time any Palringo user receives one (on any one of up to five or so IM services they cater for) the palringo server would have to then contact the Apple server and say "Put a '1' badge on the Palringo icon for this users phone" or whatever the notification will be that a new message has been received. And this will happen for all Palringo users, hence they'll be sending thousands of messages to the Apple server every minute.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I can't even begin to fathom how many push messages Apple will be pumping out. It will be in the billions in no time.

Every App, every user, some users using every app (and demanding another 9 pages to put even more apps on ;) ), and every combination in between -- it's going to be A LOT.

6. Aurial thread starter macrumors 6502

Another concern is whether Apple will also charge developers for the use of the Puch system. I mean they're going to need quite a lot of servers too.

From a business point of view we're talking about a lot of money to impliment all of this, and unfortuantely we users are bottom of the food chain.