Anyone "X-Acto" their Bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Khryz, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

The headphone hole is way too small for some of my headphones to fully fit. Thinking of just cutting the top but wondering if anyone else has had any luck doing this ..

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

I think you're better off taking a set of progressively larger drill bits to the hole.

3. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I would use a wood carving or linoleum cutting tool. Drill bit would be way too messy on a semi-flexible material.

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I'll be using my dremel to enlarge the surprisingly small dock connector slot on my free bumper.

5. willmiz macrumors member

If you have a dremel laying around it is an easy fix that takes no longer than 30 seconds or so

6. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I think it makes more sense just to shave the tip of the headphones plug... That is what I did with both of my bose headsets...

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

When you get a bumper, you will see why you want to do it the otherway around. Trimming the dock connector plastic with a grinding bit v trying to cut out the bumper.

8. yezza macrumors regular

The most simple solution for a clean, controlled enlargement of the hole is to create a punch from tubular steel. You would need to sharpen the end of the punch (the sharper the better).

Then you will need to support the bumper directly under the hole using a block of wood. This should be sitting on concrete, or a very solid floor. Position the punch concentric to the existing hole, then whack it with a hammer. The best result will come from one firm hit with the hammer, not multiple attempts.

If you don't have access to a suitably sized steel tube, you may find some other utensil or thing laying around the house - for example, somebody's good pen. Also note that it's possible that the hole will end up a slightly smaller diameter than the tubular punch, so you may want to compensate for this :)

Actually - I don't own a bumper myself, nor have I seen one in person, so I don't know how hard the plastic/rubber is. You will have to use your judgement whether the above method is suitable (if the material is too hard if may result in cracking or splitting). Good luck.

9. fubar888 macrumors member

I already carved out both my Monoprice usb cable and battery pack using a knife. I thought about carving it out the bottom opening on the bumper, but I said screw that. Seems much harder to do if you want to maintain the clean and original look.

10. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Holy crap - I am completely lost here! Lol.

As you can tell, I know absolutely nothing about tools and you guys are speaking another language.

I'm going to need a tutorial or something for this.

11. optimusp517 macrumors member

optimusp517

I'll probably be dremeling the hole and also the connector dock on the bottom for my car stereo shortly. I'll have some pics for you guys next week.

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

get an old headphone jack and heat it up with a lighter, stick it in the hole and your done

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

actually a chucking reamer works well. it is made to enlarge holes in metal and works very well. it is not grabby like a drill bit would be.

14. thiphoneguy macrumors newbie

Sounds like a good approach...