Anyone you who took CPR and did actual cpr!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 14, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

i'm calling on all people that took a cpr course and actually did cpr to save someone. my question was it easier to perform cpr on Annie or easier on the real life casualty?

2. iGav macrumors G3

I don't think it's a matter of ease as such, more that it is far more stressful when attempting to perform it on a real person, because you're much, and I mean much more aware of what is at risk if it doesn't work.

And it didn't work in my case.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Annie --- horrible kisser.

And there's no way you'd do well on a real person if you've never done CPR on a real person before. Also, the rules change. I just got re-taught some very basic CPR, and I remember the number of chest compressions being far fewer (3, maybe 5) than it is today (I think they said 30 quick ones).

I need to watch the sexy CPR video again

4. James L macrumors 6502a

My perspective from 14 years as a paramedic.....

In what way do you mean "easier"? If you are speaking in terms of physically doing the skill of chest compressions and blowing in air there are a lot of variables. A new annie is going to be quite stiff on the chest compressions, while an older one will be worn in and easier to compress.

In regard to a real patient again it depends. Are you doing chest compressions on a 35 year old, 260lb barrel chested gentleman who lifted weights all his life, played football, etc? It may quite physically exhausting doing compressions on this patient.

Or are you doing compressions on a 95 year old lady who weighed 90lbs and had arthritis and osteo? You usually won't feel any resistance at all on a patient like this (but you will feel the ribs break for sure).

I'm not sure though if you are referring to remembering the sequence of CPR, if it was easier or harder doing it on a real person and being able to function in such a stressful event, etc.

It usually doesn't. We do everything that is appropriate for a given patient when we do a cardiac arrest call, but the reality is that bringing people back from dead is a pretty difficult thing to do. Occasionally we get a save, but far more often the patient remains dead.

This is an important thing that CPR instructors should be teaching in their classes. We are doing everything we can to give the person the best chance of resuscitation possible, but it doesn't always work. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong, it's just the way it is.

Good on you for trying though.

5. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I know someone who did CPR and returned or kept a person alive until the paramedics could be called and they got there. Person was youngish and made a full recovery. Not much more to it than that but a pretty amazing thing.

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

For adult it's 2 breaths : 30 compressions.
    For rescue breathing it's: 1 breath : 5 compression : 24 times

7. James L macrumors 6502a

Adult one rescuer CPR is 30:2, and in patients who are not intubated 2 rescuer adult CPR is also 30:2.

If you are just doing rescue breathing on a patient who is in respiratory arrest but still has circulation there are no compressions... it is simply one breath every 5 to 6 seconds.

8. James L macrumors 6502a

Congratulations to your friend! It's an amazing feeling when the stars align and it all works.

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Spent nearly 15 years in EMS and have done CPR many times. The one thing they don't teach you is that doing CPR on elderly patients will cause their ribs to crack. CREEPIEST sound in the world; especially when you're not expecting it!!

10. Roric macrumors regular

I have never had the need to use CPR, but my wife did about 7 years ago. When I get home I will ask her your question.

The story: We were in church and some guy had a heart attack a couple rows over. My wife (former CNA and nursing student) and an ICU nurse did CPR until the paramedics arrived. The guy survived and we see him at church all the time and I taught his child in my confirmation class.

Just last weekend I was introduced to someone's mom as the husband of "that woman that saved Dave's life." I guess people were really talking about us after the event but no one knew who we were because we had just changed churches a couple months before. Everyone thought she was an angel that was sent to save him.

Today our church has an AED and a couple ushers from each service are trained in the use of it, including me.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Not me*, but my mother has had to a few times. She's a healthcare worker.

* I think I need a refresher anyway. It's been 9 years since I last beat down on Annie's pert plastic chest ;)

12. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Did my first Emergency First Aid course a few months ago with CPR being one part of it. Have to say, I hope I never have to use those skills, but I thought it was best to go on the course "just in case".

Credit to you guys on here who have had to do it for real, can't be a pleasant experience :(