Anyones eyes hurt after using the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jobsfnby, May 9, 2010.

?

Do your eyes hurt after using your iPad?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Yes, but only after an extended amount of time.

44 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. No

147 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. jobsfnby macrumors regular

Does anyones eyes hurt after using the iPad for a long amount of time?

My eyes begin to hurt when Ive been using my iPad for a while. I don't know if it has to do with the brightness or what, I've tried to turn down the brightness but it doesn't seem to help too much.

Does anyone know how to maybe prevent this? Does an anti-glare screen protector help at all, maybe it has something to do with how glossy the screen is because I know on my mom's laptop I can use it much longer without my eyes beginning to hurt.

2. mstout macrumors member

No. Used it for hours and my eyes were fine. The screen is amazing. My Kindle friends tell me they read for an hour and their eyes hurt.

3. Dimka macrumors newbie

Dimka

yes, it was fine for a while, first several month, but now if i use ipad for a while everything becomes blurry, but it depends what I do on ipad. so I suspect that some apps use graphics that is not good for eyes.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Mine don't.

However, I do have a screen protector which makes the display more matte like.

5. Shoechick macrumors newbie

Shoechick

Mine did the first few days but that's because of a couple of things, the brightess was up too high and I need a new prescription for my contacts :)

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

No problems, it's a matter of moderation as the display is not that great.

Not bad, just not great. A handy device for casual consumption, not exactly a device I would want to do any work with.

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Do your eyes hurt after using a computer? If so, they'll probably hurt after using an iPad.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Only logical reason I can think of is either your brightness is extremely high, but you mentioned you turned it down, or you have light sensitivity which could be caused by sinus allergies or many other reasons. To answer your question, no my eyes do not hurt and I use my iPad on average for about 4 hours a day. My brightness level is at about 20% usually.

9. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

yep, i'm now blind :cool:

oh and it's so heavy I can barely pick it up :eek: , I wish it was lighter :(

*insert lots of British sarcasm ;)

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The iPad screen is no different from a computer screen. Have some lighting around the room and take a few breaks and you should be fine.

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

I think the key here is that the iPad screen is no different from any other LED-backlit LCD, screen (aside from panel type, of course). From my own experience, I had no issues with the matte, CCFL Apple Cinema Display I used to own. As soon as I went to the new LED Cinema Display and then my iMac, I've experienced a ton of fatigue. I feel like I always have to be adjusting my brightness on them, and it's the same with the iPad. I turn the brightness down because the whites are so 'searing' on it. But then it's too dim, so I turn the brightness up. And then it's too bright. I can't win, it seems.

Anyway, I really wish LED backlighting hadn't become so prevalent. It's hellish for me, but there's not much choice these days, it seems.

13. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

It only hurts when I use it first thing in the morning. Most of the time it's at minimum brightness when I'm indoors

14. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Yes after a while. I roll with the brightness on min most of the time.

15. ScaryMerry macrumors member

ScaryMerry

*sigh*
    It's not brightness that causes eyestrain- it's glare. My eyes only hurt when I have major glare coming off the glossy iPad screen. :rolleyes:

16. mgg macrumors member

Mine did till I turned the brightness level all the way down. I also have a PS Anti-Glare screen protector, but don't know if that helped.

17. 4miler macrumors member

So roughly 20+% of people get sore eyes from iPads. Interestingly this roughly correlates with the percentage of people who want matte screens on iMacs. See the petition at http://macmatte.wordpress.com

Given the results from the iPad poll, I think it is appropriate for iPad users to also sign that petition, and get Apple to give the matte option on all its products.

There are currently around 1,200+ petition comments. The more the better. Apple does not listen to individual matte requests made via its own website. Apple pretends that EVERYONE loves gloss. The only way is to show numbers in a public petition.

18. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

No.

4miler, you can't claim 20% of people get sore eyes from iPads. 20% of the people who voted in this poll claim getting sore iPads, which might sound like a small difference, but is actually huge. People who do get sore eyes are more likely to click on the link, and they are again more likely to vote as well. It's a biased poll even though it's not intended to be.

However, while the glossiness irritates me sometimes, it seems to be neccessary with this kind of capacitive touch technology. Glass is actually a fundamental component of the touch sensitivity layer and it's hard to make glass less reflective without sacrificing display quality as well. So while it's certainly annoying, it's not something I would change.

Also, I love the IPS screen on my iPad, even though it seems a tiny bit too blue at times.

19. gatearray macrumors 65816

What device do you do work with, and what sort of display does it have?

I would bet the iPad's display is superior to your computer's display.

20. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Ipad a couple of inches away feom your eyes will most definitely cause sore eyes :) try using it a littler further away or get yout eyes checked and get a pair of eye glasses?

21. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I voted yes in the poll and I have a new pair of glasses and have just had my eyes tested ( and yes I'm sure the prescription is correct)

22. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Nope. I've built up a resistance due to years of gaming

23. Ksane macrumors regular

No, but my right elbow sure does from the angle needed to hold and touch the iPad screen.

24. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

2nded :)

25. wassja, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013