Anyones eyes hurt after using the iPad?

Do your eyes hurt after using your iPad?

• Yes

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • Yes, but only after an extended amount of time.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 147 71.0%

• Total voters

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyones eyes hurt after using the iPad for a long amount of time?

My eyes begin to hurt when Ive been using my iPad for a while. I don't know if it has to do with the brightness or what, I've tried to turn down the brightness but it doesn't seem to help too much.

Does anyone know how to maybe prevent this? Does an anti-glare screen protector help at all, maybe it has something to do with how glossy the screen is because I know on my mom's laptop I can use it much longer without my eyes beginning to hurt.

mstout

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
No. Used it for hours and my eyes were fine. The screen is amazing. My Kindle friends tell me they read for an hour and their eyes hurt.

Dimka

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
San Francisco
yes, it was fine for a while, first several month, but now if i use ipad for a while everything becomes blurry, but it depends what I do on ipad. so I suspect that some apps use graphics that is not good for eyes.

Shoechick

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Mine did the first few days but that's because of a couple of things, the brightess was up too high and I need a new prescription for my contacts :)

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
No problems, it's a matter of moderation as the display is not that great.

Not bad, just not great. A handy device for casual consumption, not exactly a device I would want to do any work with.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Do your eyes hurt after using a computer? If so, they'll probably hurt after using an iPad.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Does anyones eyes hurt after using the iPad for a long amount of time?

My eyes begin to hurt when Ive been using my iPad for a while. I don't know if it has to do with the brightness or what, I've tried to turn down the brightness but it doesn't seem to help too much.

Does anyone know how to maybe prevent this? Does an anti-glare screen protector help at all, maybe it has something to do with how glossy the screen is because I know on my mom's laptop I can use it much longer without my eyes beginning to hurt.
Only logical reason I can think of is either your brightness is extremely high, but you mentioned you turned it down, or you have light sensitivity which could be caused by sinus allergies or many other reasons. To answer your question, no my eyes do not hurt and I use my iPad on average for about 4 hours a day. My brightness level is at about 20% usually.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The iPad screen is no different from a computer screen. Have some lighting around the room and take a few breaks and you should be fine.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The iPad screen is no different from a computer screen. Have some lighting around the room and take a few breaks and you should be fine.
I think the key here is that the iPad screen is no different from any other LED-backlit LCD, screen (aside from panel type, of course). From my own experience, I had no issues with the matte, CCFL Apple Cinema Display I used to own. As soon as I went to the new LED Cinema Display and then my iMac, I've experienced a ton of fatigue. I feel like I always have to be adjusting my brightness on them, and it's the same with the iPad. I turn the brightness down because the whites are so 'searing' on it. But then it's too dim, so I turn the brightness up. And then it's too bright. I can't win, it seems.

Anyway, I really wish LED backlighting hadn't become so prevalent. It's hellish for me, but there's not much choice these days, it seems.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Yes after a while. I roll with the brightness on min most of the time.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Mine did till I turned the brightness level all the way down. I also have a PS Anti-Glare screen protector, but don't know if that helped.

4miler

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2009
So roughly 20+% of people get sore eyes from iPads. Interestingly this roughly correlates with the percentage of people who want matte screens on iMacs. See the petition at http://macmatte.wordpress.com

Given the results from the iPad poll, I think it is appropriate for iPad users to also sign that petition, and get Apple to give the matte option on all its products.

There are currently around 1,200+ petition comments. The more the better. Apple does not listen to individual matte requests made via its own website. Apple pretends that EVERYONE loves gloss. The only way is to show numbers in a public petition.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
No.

4miler, you can't claim 20% of people get sore eyes from iPads. 20% of the people who voted in this poll claim getting sore iPads, which might sound like a small difference, but is actually huge. People who do get sore eyes are more likely to click on the link, and they are again more likely to vote as well. It's a biased poll even though it's not intended to be.

However, while the glossiness irritates me sometimes, it seems to be neccessary with this kind of capacitive touch technology. Glass is actually a fundamental component of the touch sensitivity layer and it's hard to make glass less reflective without sacrificing display quality as well. So while it's certainly annoying, it's not something I would change.

Also, I love the IPS screen on my iPad, even though it seems a tiny bit too blue at times.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
No problems, it's a matter of moderation as the display is not that great.

Not bad, just not great. A handy device for casual consumption, not exactly a device I would want to do any work with.
What device do you do work with, and what sort of display does it have?

I would bet the iPad's display is superior to your computer's display.

fortunecookie

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2010
Ipad a couple of inches away feom your eyes will most definitely cause sore eyes :) try using it a littler further away or get yout eyes checked and get a pair of eye glasses?

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Ipad a couple of inches away feom your eyes will most definitely cause sore eyes :) try using it a littler further away or get yout eyes checked and get a pair of eye glasses?
I voted yes in the poll and I have a new pair of glasses and have just had my eyes tested ( and yes I'm sure the prescription is correct)

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
No, but my right elbow sure does from the angle needed to hold and touch the iPad screen.