Anyone's Santa Rosa MB's giving them shocks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilovemygeek, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

I just got zapped by my Macbook. I was putting it down on the table when and my right hand was on the side with the Superdrive and I got a pretty nasty shock. I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded. Anybody else get this? I'm wondering if I should call Applecare on this or if its common.

2. jlan macrumors newbie

it's most likely just static. You may have dragged your feet along some carpet/rug and built up some static. It's happened to me a couple times with my MB too. Just don't drag your feet :D

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I used to have this problem with the corner of old powerbook after I dropped it a few times and the case became a little bent in areas. Is your problem associated with any damage or is it in perfect condition?

4. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's the plastic case. If you get shocks that should alert you that you are doing static generating activities, which is never good for a laptop!. Once I started changing my behavior (e.g. lifting to move it, rather than dragging it across a rug) the shocks stopped.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Do you have the grounder plugged in (3-prongs)?

I don't know why, but many users have reported improved results with this (I'm sure it makes scientific sense, but I couldn't explain it to you :p).

6. Surely Guest

Surely

No, my MacBook isn't giv.... OW! Son of a....

/sorry, couldn't resist.....:D

7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The MB power supply is a Class 2 device so it doesn't actually connect up to the earth pin. So any shocks you get are likely to be from static. It is possible that from a break in the casing, you could get a shock. But you'd pretty much have to be touching something live. If thats the case you would know about it. I don't have the specs, but the Macbook shouldnt be using more than a couple of amps of current.

Just out of interest you say "I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded". Does that mean some houses in the US dont have grounded AC supplies? If so that worries me.. that worries me a lot :)

8. pr5owner macrumors 65816

zapping a MBP is bad, your laptop has no ground plug with the AC adapter, i have no clue why apple would do such a rediculous thing. its best if you touch the little screw(s) on your light switch if you think you have a charge or just do it before touching computer equipment, those screws "SHOULD" be house ground.

9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

It's actually quite common place. Class 2 devices are double insulated to provide protection against coming into contact with any live parts. Every single laptop I come across at work is double insulated. Just like your hair dryer, iron, etc.

10. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

My Macbook is in perfect condition. Its never even left the house at this point as it was replaced in November. I was using the 3 prong cord and I walked about 3 steps from my couch to my table. It didn't feel like static, this was a bit different, it stung for a while after. I'll see if it happens again I guess before I worry. I just know my husband never had this happen with his Macbook and it happened to my Macbook Pro that I returned and now my Macbook. Maybe its me? :confused:

11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Incidentally, some people generate more static than others. So that is plausible! Not a big concern though unless it gets uncomfortable of course..

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sometimes it's also the floors/clothing you're wearing. A couple years back, I had a few things that would generate static like crazy. One trip to the drug store and I had a bottle of anti-static spray (the kind women use for their skirts or something). Worked wonders. Give it a try OP.

13. John01021988 macrumors 6502

The only shock I've gotten is when I tried the unplug my ipod from my macbook. Little son of Apple shocked me really bad. But it was the only time it happened. But of course, I was just waking up and my bed cover are those made out cotton that create a lot of static with movement.

14. Zianac macrumors member

I actually have a small current running through my MBP case. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Although, it isn't enough for me to do anything (I'm pretty tolerant), perhaps I should? It only happens when it's plugged in though.

15. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

The funny thing is its like 80% hummidity. Maybe Static shock is my super power I will now fight evil by shuffling my feet and zapping evil doers.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What does hummidity have to do with it? (no really, I'm not very good at this stuff)

I thought static was an excess of particles on one side.

17. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

typically static builds up more when the air is drier.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:eek: You learn something new everyday! :)

A curious thought though is why we don't have more static here in the Bay Area. Even in the summer, it's never very humid here (though admittedly not dry like a desert, but still...).

19. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I get shocked all the time. Especially on my friend's MBP. My MacBook only shocks me if I just took off my jacket. (Piece of crap static machine...)

20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

One of my previous coworkers would discharge every time he touched any metal at our workplace. Pretty funny actually. He lived with it :)