Anyone's Santa Rosa MB's giving them shocks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilovemygeek, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    #1
    I just got zapped by my Macbook. I was putting it down on the table when and my right hand was on the side with the Superdrive and I got a pretty nasty shock. I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded. Anybody else get this? I'm wondering if I should call Applecare on this or if its common.
     
  2. jlan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #2
    it's most likely just static. You may have dragged your feet along some carpet/rug and built up some static. It's happened to me a couple times with my MB too. Just don't drag your feet :D
     
  3. Aniej macrumors 68000

    Aniej

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    #3
    I used to have this problem with the corner of old powerbook after I dropped it a few times and the case became a little bent in areas. Is your problem associated with any damage or is it in perfect condition?
     
  4. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #4
    Yes. It's the plastic case. If you get shocks that should alert you that you are doing static generating activities, which is never good for a laptop!. Once I started changing my behavior (e.g. lifting to move it, rather than dragging it across a rug) the shocks stopped.
     
  5. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #5
    Do you have the grounder plugged in (3-prongs)?

    I don't know why, but many users have reported improved results with this (I'm sure it makes scientific sense, but I couldn't explain it to you :p).
     
  6. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #6
    No, my MacBook isn't giv.... OW! Son of a....

    /sorry, couldn't resist.....:D
     
  7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #7
    The MB power supply is a Class 2 device so it doesn't actually connect up to the earth pin. So any shocks you get are likely to be from static. It is possible that from a break in the casing, you could get a shock. But you'd pretty much have to be touching something live. If thats the case you would know about it. I don't have the specs, but the Macbook shouldnt be using more than a couple of amps of current.

    Just out of interest you say "I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded". Does that mean some houses in the US dont have grounded AC supplies? If so that worries me.. that worries me a lot :)
     
  8. pr5owner macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #8
    zapping a MBP is bad, your laptop has no ground plug with the AC adapter, i have no clue why apple would do such a rediculous thing. its best if you touch the little screw(s) on your light switch if you think you have a charge or just do it before touching computer equipment, those screws "SHOULD" be house ground.
     
  9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #9
    It's actually quite common place. Class 2 devices are double insulated to provide protection against coming into contact with any live parts. Every single laptop I come across at work is double insulated. Just like your hair dryer, iron, etc.
     
  10. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    #10
    My Macbook is in perfect condition. Its never even left the house at this point as it was replaced in November. I was using the 3 prong cord and I walked about 3 steps from my couch to my table. It didn't feel like static, this was a bit different, it stung for a while after. I'll see if it happens again I guess before I worry. I just know my husband never had this happen with his Macbook and it happened to my Macbook Pro that I returned and now my Macbook. Maybe its me? :confused:
     
  11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #11
    Incidentally, some people generate more static than others. So that is plausible! Not a big concern though unless it gets uncomfortable of course..
     
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #12
    Sometimes it's also the floors/clothing you're wearing. A couple years back, I had a few things that would generate static like crazy. One trip to the drug store and I had a bottle of anti-static spray (the kind women use for their skirts or something). Worked wonders. Give it a try OP.
     
  13. John01021988 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    #13
    The only shock I've gotten is when I tried the unplug my ipod from my macbook. Little son of Apple shocked me really bad. But it was the only time it happened. But of course, I was just waking up and my bed cover are those made out cotton that create a lot of static with movement.
     
  14. Zianac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #14
    I actually have a small current running through my MBP case. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Although, it isn't enough for me to do anything (I'm pretty tolerant), perhaps I should? It only happens when it's plugged in though.
     
  15. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    #15
    The funny thing is its like 80% hummidity. Maybe Static shock is my super power I will now fight evil by shuffling my feet and zapping evil doers.
     
  16. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #16
    What does hummidity have to do with it? (no really, I'm not very good at this stuff)

    I thought static was an excess of particles on one side.
     
  17. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    #17
    typically static builds up more when the air is drier.
     
  18. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #18
    :eek: You learn something new everyday! :)

    A curious thought though is why we don't have more static here in the Bay Area. Even in the summer, it's never very humid here (though admittedly not dry like a desert, but still...).
     
  19. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #19
    I get shocked all the time. Especially on my friend's MBP. My MacBook only shocks me if I just took off my jacket. (Piece of crap static machine...)
     
  20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Location:
    Roskilde, DK
    #20
    One of my previous coworkers would discharge every time he touched any metal at our workplace. Pretty funny actually. He lived with it :)
     

Share This Page