Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I just got zapped by my Macbook. I was putting it down on the table when and my right hand was on the side with the Superdrive and I got a pretty nasty shock. I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded. Anybody else get this? I'm wondering if I should call Applecare on this or if its common.

jlan

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
it's most likely just static. You may have dragged your feet along some carpet/rug and built up some static. It's happened to me a couple times with my MB too. Just don't drag your feet :D

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I used to have this problem with the corner of old powerbook after I dropped it a few times and the case became a little bent in areas. Is your problem associated with any damage or is it in perfect condition?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I just got zapped by my Macbook. I was putting it down on the table when and my right hand was on the side with the Superdrive and I got a pretty nasty shock. I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded. Anybody else get this? I'm wondering if I should call Applecare on this or if its common.

Yes. It's the plastic case. If you get shocks that should alert you that you are doing static generating activities, which is never good for a laptop!. Once I started changing my behavior (e.g. lifting to move it, rather than dragging it across a rug) the shocks stopped.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Do you have the grounder plugged in (3-prongs)?

I don't know why, but many users have reported improved results with this (I'm sure it makes scientific sense, but I couldn't explain it to you :p).

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
The MB power supply is a Class 2 device so it doesn't actually connect up to the earth pin. So any shocks you get are likely to be from static. It is possible that from a break in the casing, you could get a shock. But you'd pretty much have to be touching something live. If thats the case you would know about it. I don't have the specs, but the Macbook shouldnt be using more than a couple of amps of current.

Just out of interest you say "I live in a newer construction house in Florida so I know its grounded". Does that mean some houses in the US dont have grounded AC supplies? If so that worries me.. that worries me a lot :)

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
zapping a MBP is bad, your laptop has no ground plug with the AC adapter, i have no clue why apple would do such a rediculous thing. its best if you touch the little screw(s) on your light switch if you think you have a charge or just do it before touching computer equipment, those screws "SHOULD" be house ground.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
zapping a MBP is bad, your laptop has no ground plug with the AC adapter, i have no clue why apple would do such a rediculous thing.

It's actually quite common place. Class 2 devices are double insulated to provide protection against coming into contact with any live parts. Every single laptop I come across at work is double insulated. Just like your hair dryer, iron, etc.

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
My Macbook is in perfect condition. Its never even left the house at this point as it was replaced in November. I was using the 3 prong cord and I walked about 3 steps from my couch to my table. It didn't feel like static, this was a bit different, it stung for a while after. I'll see if it happens again I guess before I worry. I just know my husband never had this happen with his Macbook and it happened to my Macbook Pro that I returned and now my Macbook. Maybe its me? :confused:

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Incidentally, some people generate more static than others. So that is plausible! Not a big concern though unless it gets uncomfortable of course..

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Incidentally, some people generate more static than others. So that is plausible! Not a big concern though unless it gets uncomfortable of course..

Sometimes it's also the floors/clothing you're wearing. A couple years back, I had a few things that would generate static like crazy. One trip to the drug store and I had a bottle of anti-static spray (the kind women use for their skirts or something). Worked wonders. Give it a try OP.

John01021988

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
The only shock I've gotten is when I tried the unplug my ipod from my macbook. Little son of Apple shocked me really bad. But it was the only time it happened. But of course, I was just waking up and my bed cover are those made out cotton that create a lot of static with movement.

Zianac

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
Florida
I actually have a small current running through my MBP case. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Although, it isn't enough for me to do anything (I'm pretty tolerant), perhaps I should? It only happens when it's plugged in though.

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
The funny thing is its like 80% hummidity. Maybe Static shock is my super power I will now fight evil by shuffling my feet and zapping evil doers.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The funny thing is its like 80% hummidity. Maybe Static shock is my super power I will now fight evil by shuffling my feet and zapping evil doers.

What does hummidity have to do with it? (no really, I'm not very good at this stuff)

I thought static was an excess of particles on one side.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
typically static builds up more when the air is drier.

:eek: You learn something new everyday! :)

A curious thought though is why we don't have more static here in the Bay Area. Even in the summer, it's never very humid here (though admittedly not dry like a desert, but still...).

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I get shocked all the time. Especially on my friend's MBP. My MacBook only shocks me if I just took off my jacket. (Piece of crap static machine...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.