Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
im gonna purchase the clear speck case for my air from amazon since its only $30 shipped on prime, my question is does anyones NOT crack? all i see are complaints of cracking.. is there any positive results? thanks

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
im gonna purchase the clear speck case for my air from amazon since its only $30 shipped on prime, my question is does anyones NOT crack? all i see are complaints of cracking.. is there any positive results? thanks

Im currently using a Seethru Blue Case by Speck and so far it hasn't cracked. I only use it on my desk or when I'm at school library on a desk.

Using a 2011 MBA 13''

I've used Speck Seethru cases for my 2008 Macbook white, 2010 macbook pro.. the only problem i've ever had with speck hard cases are they are hard to take off (the bottom/keyboard part)

*EDIT*

Just wanted to add.. perhaps the reason why my speck case hasn't cracked is because I've also put my MBA with the Speck Case on in a Viper Zip case. So I have 2 layers of protection, one is the speck hard shell case from scratches and the second is the viper zip case from impact, as I put it inside my backpack.

So that makes THREE layers of protection. My Speck Hard Shell Case, My Viper Zip Case and my Incase Backpack made to fit up to a 15'' Macbook Pro.

And also if you include me as a human being as a FOURTH layer of protection as my backpack, which holds my viper zip case and my speck hard shell case which is inside my incase backpack.

Also I have applecare on my MBA so that makes FIVE layers of protection.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Mine isn't.

You need to find an Internet forum where people go to talk about the things that work. This one ain't it. :D

People usually come here when there is a problem. Its like hanging out at the hospital and wondering why there's so many sick people around...

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
i have one on my 13" pro with no cracking issues. knock on wood.. and $30 seems like a great deal so i just hope i have no problems.

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
i have one on my 13" pro with no cracking issues. knock on wood.. and $30 seems like a great deal so i just hope i have no problems.

I forgot to mention, the speck hard shell made for MBA's are not exactly hard plastic like the MBP hard shells. It's somewhat flimsy as you can bend it a bit but nevertheless, it makes my MBA look nicer and does it's job to prevent scars and scratches.

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I forgot to mention, the speck hard shell made for MBA's are not exactly hard plastic like the MBP hard shells. It's somewhat flimsy as you can bend it a bit but nevertheless, it makes my MBA look nicer and does it's job to prevent scars and scratches.

i felt it in the apple store.. its way thicker then the power support air jacket. you can almost twist the air jacket but i could not get the top to properly fit on my air and i wasnt gonna pay $60 for something that didnt fit right.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Mine isn't.

People usually come here when there is a problem. Its like hanging out at the hospital and wondering why there's so many sick people around...

Dead on!

I've had a black satin finish one for both my current Air & earlier MacBook, and neither ever cracked. For me I guess it's a matter of how you handle your Air usually.

kim2272

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
I bought a black satin one used from eBay and it hasn't cracked and I don't think it will. Then again, I'm pretty careful taking it on and off. It seems pretty resilient to me.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
My bottom Speck case has cracks on the rear hinges. I super-glued them, but I may call and send it back for a replacement, otherwise really like the case, because I carry my Air into a backpack full of stuff.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I see no reason to restrict the airflow around the aluminum since that's how it dissipates heat.

With just a bit of common sense & care I've used Aluminum MBP's for years without a single scratch. My MBA's are proving just as durable.

It's quite easy really.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Easy to keep it scratch free if it never leaves your desk. Simply using it on a lecture hall desk and it will end up marring up the whole bottom.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I've never had any crack when using it on my pro's. I've had a see thru satin crack on my 11" air, but i sent that back to speck and they sent me a new one so you cant fault customer service.

At the end of the day, if it cracks, it doesn't really impair the performance that much

Thoughtful

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Mine's cracked :(

Hi,

I had a see-thru Speck satin case for my MBA, didn't fit properly on the rear hinges on the bottom piece and has since cracked on the front corners - less than 8 weeks old.

Just to note, I am quite prissy about the MBA (as it cost so damn much), so it is always in a second case and only ever really used at the office or at home. So there are really no excuses for the cracking.

T.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I have had Speck Hard Shell cases on my original Macbook and my 2010 Macbook Pro.

I purchased a clear Hard Shell case from Speck for my 2011 MBA. What a piece of crap.

The molding process seemingly went awry and there is no way to put it on without major scratches resulting along the hinge. I took it off immediately.

Their Customer No Service line told me to return it for a replacement.

Piece of junk. Do not buy.

Their quality has gone downhill majorly over the years.

toi

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
mine chipped and has a crack in it ,still gets the job done but i was expecting much better for $50

adeevasani

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Speck case MacBook air

I take good care of my MacBook Air with the Speck silicone case. It has cracked in multiple areas. I carry my MacBook in an insulated laptop bag. I am disappointed. I would go with another case. So far I only notice it in the Air. My daughters have MacBooks and they Have not experienced any cracking.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
On the Speck bottom case all the hinges broke off. Now I just keep the bottom shell in my backpack and slide the Air in it for added protection. However, the top shell did not crack, and I leave it on for the added rigidity in my backpack.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Some chips on mine but not any fissures yet. Its doing its job but certainly expected it to stand up to more. And mine doesn't even travel much, so all the chips and such wasn't from day to day being in and out of bags/cases.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Mine is completely falling apart after only 9 months. The bottom shell only has ONE clip that hasn't broken off yet. So there's basically nothing holding it on anymore. The top shell clips are all fine but it does have one 2" long crack. Piece of CRAP considering how much money I paid. These hard shell cases are VERY expensive for what you get.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Mine caused hinge problems on the Air (Mid-2011) the hinge became so lose till a point where it closes itself. Luckily i still have warranty on it and Apple replaced it for free. (Obviously i didn't tell them i have speck case on!)

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I had a Speck for a 2010 Air, and the hinges of the bottom piece broke in a matter o f a few weeks. Threw it in the trash, and kept the top piece for protect ion in my backpack, never liked the idea of it insulating the bottom, ran a few C higher.

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013

I love mine! Clear shows dirt that gets stuck underneath though.

lindacmg

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2016
I purchased pink Speck case 10 years ago that is still in PERFECT CONDITION. 3 months ago I bought a new Powerbook and a new (teal colored) Speck case which has cracked on all 4 sides. I bought both at Bestbuy. My experience with Bestbuy is they will fix this problem and give me a new case. Bestbuy stands behind their merchandise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.