Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I have a Dell 2405 fpw and it really is fantastic. I'm looking into purchasing another one and for the sake of cosmetics, I would like to get a 2405 instead of a 2407 (kinda ugly, don't you think?). I haven't searched high and low yet, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a retail outlet that is still selling these suckers.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
i generally avoid ebay for larger electronics purchases.

I looked through amazon, but found that some 2405's there had a "Note: this is actually a 2407" attached to them, so who knows what you're getting. I'll continue to check it out.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
love my 2405. feel sorry for the suckers who got stiffed with the 2407. haha.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
tekmoe said:
love my 2405. feel sorry for the suckers who got stiffed with the 2407. haha.
i think the 05 line in general is kinda ugly, especially compared to the 07's. i love the new stands and the alum.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
xfiftyfour said:
i think the 05 line in general is kinda ugly, especially compared to the 07's. i love the new stands and the alum.
both have their place in the hearts of many, but 1 thing is for sure: they don't look good together.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Dell isn't want it used to be. I'd be looking at Samsung first, then LG or HP even if it costs a few bucks more. All the little extras on the Dell can be had for a few bucks (how much is a USB hub...less than $20!). Samsung quality is far superior to that of any Dell. I actually own the 2405, its okay, but not exceptional and I'd be surprised if it lasted much more than the warranty period.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
drake said:
Dell isn't want it used to be. I'd be looking at Samsung first, then LG or HP even if it costs a few bucks more. All the little extras on the Dell can be had for a few bucks (how much is a USB hub...less than $20!). Samsung quality is far superior to that of any Dell. I actually own the 2405, its okay, but not exceptional and I'd be surprised if it lasted much more than the warranty period.
You kidding? My Dell is as solid as a rock and I'm very pleased with it's performance. I didn't really buy it for the USB hub. I bought it for the black performance and it's backlight consistency. It has a reputation for being better than the ACDs in both areas.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
drake said:
Yeah, seriously? My dell is amazing. And I MUCH prefer having the ports right on my monitor.. why spend extra to have more cables and junk on my desk? I like the simplicity.

Also, from all I've read, Dell and ACDs are considered the highest quality.. the "best of breed" according to anandtech. While the Samsung is probably good quality, I definitely wouldn't consider it better than the Dell.. and certainly not "far superior".

PS: There's a reason Samsung costs less.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
CT
I love my 2405 too, it's a great monitor. I do like the 2407's base a bit better, though. Anyone know what happens if you get some dead pixels? Do they replace it with another 2405 or do they give you the 2407? Just wondering, I've had a few but they are all gone now. :)

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
I too have a 2405...though I wouldn't mind the 2407 for its sexier base and faster pixel response time. However, be very wary of the revision. Don't accept anything earlier than A02, and check for banding. Some A02's still have it, some don't.

Of course, if Dell gets to finally fixing banding once and for all, then 2407's would have an outright recommendation, but until then...

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Veritas&Equitas said:
Agreed with the last couple posters. My Dell 2405 is still amazing...I haven't talked to anyone that hasn't liked their 2405...that includes about 13-15 people...

Well, okay. Mine is fine too, now, after I sent the first one back. If you head over to Hardforums or other such sites, you'll find lots of people having to send them back one or two times to get a good one. Mine isn't quite as sharp as it was a year ago when I bought it either, not sure why that is, but it is. I dread should anything go wrong, I'm not keen on trying to expain an issue to someone who doesn't speak English well, and actually get a replacement. I'd still spend the extra money and go Samsung next time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.