Anything better than Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pknz, Jun 1, 2009.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I am currently looking at replacing my ADSL router with a modem + Airport Extreme Base Station. The modem would probably be a Huawei MT882.

Are there any products out that are better than the AEBS? Or that I should consider? Or are there any limitations in the current AEBS?

The base station would connect a mac pro (wired), network printer (wired) a MacBook and a Windows laptop and possibly a USB hard-drive.

Thanks for your suggestions

2. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

There is nothing wrong with the Airport series, but they can be quite expensive. It comes down to how important the USB drive is for you as I don't know of any other routers that offer AFP (apple file sharing) by plugging in a usb hard drive. Also airports work seamlessly with 'Back to my mac', if you're a MobileMe user :)
    If you don't need the use the hard drive (or time capsule for that matter) some of the new Netgear wireless routers do everything else just as well.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's a fine no-brainer (literally and otherwise) solution for Apple users.

But beyond that, 'better' is defined by what you're wanting out of it. Some offer DLNA sharing. Some offer more control, others offer an actual firewall - a concept apparently alien to Apple.

4. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

I am currently using a D-Link G604T router, would I expect to see much difference?

It can drop connection quite often requiring a restart but I am not sure if this is the router or my ISP at fault.