anything else I can do to improve battery life/health ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Aug 25, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, I've had my macbook pro retina for a while now and I'm trying to keep the battery health high. These are the steps I'm taking, running gfxcardstatus, app tamer, ultra fan , keyboard light offs, and bluetooth off . Unplug maybe once a week and let it run to 50%, than plug back in and charge back to full.

Anything else I can do to improve the battery life/ health ?

2. hamiltonDSi, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Erm, have you tried enjoying your computer ? :confused:

Why are you doing this ? It's nonsense.
    Using bluetooth or having the keyboard backlit on does not affect the battery health.
    Srsly, just use your computer and enjoy it. The battery will be fine, trust me.
    The battery in the Macbook Pro looses health after 1,000 cycles.
    If you unplug every week the battery will last about 19.2 years, If you unplug twice a week the battery will last 8 years and so on.
    Stop begin so OCD and just unplug when you need the mobility of the laptop.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life, but keyboard backlighting and Bluetooth are minor factors. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. scbond macrumors 6502

Charge it fully and then let it run down fully, then repeat. I do sometimes leave my MagSafe plugged in but try to cycle the battery fully as often as I can to prolong its life.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You never need to fully drain the battery, and it's not good for the battery to do so. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. Read the FAQ I posted for proper battery use and care.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Agreed. My battery has been at or around 100% health for an entire year just unplugging when I needed to. Ended up putting around 120 cycles on it. Has an odd day where the battery health goes to 70 odd percent, but jumps back eventually. I think it's just my battery as I havnt calibrated in such a long while and it's the older model where I should do that...

Plus, these batteries degrade naturally over time no matter how you use them. I wouldn't plan on running a battery for 10+ years.

Read the guide OP! Helpful.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think this is the best advise. Use the computer, enjoy it, and in the course of time when you need to replace the battery replace it,

I really pay no attention to cycles and what not, too many people get wrapped up in the battery cycles, and spending too much time over the minutia of the battery settings. My battery last years and I don't take special care of it, I just use it :)