Anything frer virtual machine software for a g5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xxwckdxx, Apr 13, 2011.

1. xxwckdxx macrumors newbie

I havea dual 2.7, 7gb ram, looking for some kind of free virtual machine that I could run win xp on. I love mac but I have a vinyl sign plotter that uses software for windows and I can find a free alternative for Mac. I know parrells won't work on a ppc neither will wine. Virtual pc for mac I would have to purchase is there anything free out there?

Much apreciated

2. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

3. xxwckdxx thread starter macrumors newbie

I also looked at virtual box but it says Intel Macs I went all the way back to version 1 and the same thing

Code:
     * VirtualBox platform packages. The binaries are released under the terms of the GPL version 2.
              o VirtualBox 4.0.4 for Windows hosts x86/amd64
              o VirtualBox 4.0.4 for OS X hosts Intel Macs
              o VirtualBox 4.0.4 for Linux hosts
              o VirtualBox 4.0.4 for Solaris hosts x86/amd64 

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Q is a free emulator software that runs on Mac OS X, including OS X on PowerPC. It's a port of the open source and generic processor emulator QEMU.

PearPC is another software emulator. This one is quite old so i only posted it on here in case Q doesn't work.

5. ChrisA, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

ChrisA macrumors G4

Vinyl sign cutting without Windows? Set up a small Linux system andrun "Tux Plot" on it. This will drive the sign cutter. Then you "share" the printer and everyone one you network will see the printer as a Postscript printer. Then any Mac program can print. Tuxplot is free
    http://www.securetech-ns.ca/camm-linux.html

Most of these, Parallels, VMware, virtual box can only virtualize an Intel processor on an intel processor. But QEMU is a true emulator and can run most any software on most any hardware. For example it can run on your PPC (G5) and run Intel software. But it can also run on Intel hardware and run SPARC software and so on it is free and Open Source.

But this is NOT packaged for consumers. You have to know a little bit about computers and you will lilely have to build this from source.
    http://wiki.qemu.org/Main_Page

6. dknightd macrumors 6502

If you can't find anything free that works for you, I'd consider buying a cheap used PC and dedicate it to the plotter. You can often find a used PC for less than it would cost for a windows license.

7. xxwckdxx thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got two laptops I use for it now but trying to ave space of having a laptop sitting around

8. dknightd macrumors 6502

Aren't most sign plotters pretty big? Does the laptop really take up more space. Just put in under, or, next to the plotter. Or try the free alternative suggested - just remember, it is free to try only if your time is free. Maybe it is time to buy a new mac ;)

9. xxwckdxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Wish i had the money to buy a new mac, I just got this one I have been a pc user for 15 years. As for the plotter it is put up on a self I bring it down when I need it.

10. dknightd macrumors 6502