anything i can do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jp24, Jan 24, 2010.

1. jp24 macrumors newbie

about a month ago i called the apple tech support to ask them about my battery for my 13 in macbook. it shuts off after being unplugged for like 5 minutes. i told the guy over the phone this and he said to buy the applecare plan. then i told him that my warranty had just ran out and that wouldn't get me anywhere. he told me that apple gives a month or two grace period to purchase and register the computer. so i bout the applecare and when i go to register it wouldn't accept my macbook. so i call apple again and this time they told me since it was out of warranty i could no longer get any free customer support. to say i was pissed would be an understatement. i had to buy a battery off amazon and now i believe my screen has some damage because of a bright spot in the bottom right corner. is there really anything i can do with my macbook when even more problems come up? i know they would fix anything but you have to pay for parts and labor costs which most likely is really expensive.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think he was right about the grace period. As far as I know, as soon as your complementary warranty runs out, you're ineligible to activate AppleCare.

As for your battery, how many charge cycles does it have?

3. bobriot macrumors member

You can return the Applecare for a refund, under EU law there is a 2 year parts and labour warranty on most electrical goods. USA and elsewhere probably differs, keep ringing them and complaining and they may give in to your infernal pestering.

Worth a try.

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Yeah, that's not the right way to run customer service...

BUT

You should have bought Apple Care from the beginning.

Regardless, a battery that is acting funky only a few weeks out of warranty would be taken care of at the Genius Bar, most likely.

At this point, be the "squeaky wheel"... take it to the GB and if they refuse to work on it, then complain to the MOD. Explain the entire sequence of events logically and looking for sympathy. Even offer to buy the Apple Care retro actively.