Anything I need to know about Refurbs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jinxednuance, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

I am planning on buying a refurb laptop from the online Apple Store.

Is there anything I need to know prior to placing an order?

I do know what is the difference primarily, but any specific details? Would appreciate your input.

Thanks

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

Most refurbs are returns (people can only return them within 14 days) so there basically new.

As far as iMacs go (I have a refurbished iMac) they replace most of the components and the outer aluminum shell so it looks like it's brand new.

As far as Macbook Pros are concerned, I'd be willing to guess that they replace the outer shell on the screen (where the light up apple logo is) and clean, and fix all scratches off of the computer

i would only buy refurbished apple products because of how good they look, when you compare them side by side to new products, you wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference

The only difference is that you don't get the shiny box, you get a brown one. You save a lot of money through the refurbished store, and it's worth it, at least my iMac was. It looked brand new when I got it

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, they only replace any defective components. If nothing is wrong with the shell or other components, they are tested, but not replaced.
    While most refurbs are in like-new condition, they don't fix all scratches or replace undamaged parts. Many have gotten refurbs that show small signs that the unit was used, such as minor scratches.
    In most cases, this is true, but not always. Sometimes you are able to tell the difference, slight though it may be.

Read the first link I posted, which describes the refurb process.

4. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Apple doesn't provide student discount on its refurb items?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.