Anything I should know before upgrading to Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Swordylove, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Swordylove, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

I'm currently using late 2012 iMac with OS X 10.9.1 and Windows 8.
    Will there be any problem if I upgrade to Windows 8.1 now?
    Will the Bootcamp drivers work without problem?
    How about games? (I use Windows for games only)

Note: I'm looking to upgrade from the Windows store.

2. trimiton macrumors newbie

I had two upgrades on win 8.1:
    1) one on bootcamp, and the overall system went a bit slower than as a clean install
    2) one on another PC, and I got artifacts of text rendering.

Version-wise it wouldn't be a problem, more is about the upgrading process which isn't so good as a clean install. If you can, do a reinstall, it will save you of many future possible problems :)

3. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thanks for the input! :)

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

There won't be too much trouble updating through the MS "App Store." I did it this way, but it was with a fairly clean installation of Windows 8. You won't need to reinstall Apple's Windows support software. However, I would strongly suggest uninstalling your graphics drivers before updating to 8.1. I had a set of AMD Catalyst GPU drivers installed at the time I changed to 8.1 and it caused a few issues. Reverting to the drivers Microsoft provides with Windows 8 saved those headaches. After getting 8.1 up and running, I reinstalled the set from AMD and have been OK ever since.

As far as games, 8.1 introduced a bug that will cause mouse lag for certain titles. They released a patch that you have to download separately. It doesn't fix all games, but they did release directions on how to apply the fix manually so if you have a game that's not covered by the update, you won't be stuck. Do a search for "Windows 8.1 mouse lag fix" and one of the links will take you to appropriate MS knowledge base article where you can download the update.

5. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thank you very much. I appreciate for this valuable info.