iPhone Anything in iOS 6.1.3 that is a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Acidfree, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Acidfree macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone 4 running 5.1.1.

Recently a few of my apps have come out with updates requiring iOS 6.

I always read-up on the new updates, and I am never really encouraged by what I read. The Wi-Fi connectivity issues, buggy iMessage and the battery life issues specifically seem troublesome.

I've had varying success with updates/new Apple products, but like with most things on the internet its hard to find a straight answer about how likely you are to experience the known problems.

Some articles I've read seem to say is fine, others encourage users to wait. Forums are filled with people posting about issues they are having, some are resolved others are not.

I would rather not jump through all the hoops of downgrading if everything goes to hell. Equally, I would like to be able to use my apps with their upgraded versions.

TL;DR: Nervous about updating from 5.1.1 to 6.1.3, is it worth it for a few apps?

Any thoughts one way or another?

Thank you!

2. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

6.1.3's battery has been well documented to be horrible vs 6.1.2. Stay where you are for now.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

5. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

The iPhone 4 can get a tethered jailbreak on 6.1.3

7. Acidfree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses!

I have never done this, so I probably wouldn't have even noticed it didn't work unless you had pointed it out. I hope they do fix it though in 6.1.4.

This was something that I was concerned about, but the more I read it seemed like it was connected to various apps and push notifications. Others did a hard reset and that seemed to alleviate the battery drainage. Is that not quite the case?

The way I use my phone normally, I can charge it once every 2-3 days and with high usage it gets down to about 25% by the end of the day.

My phone is often not the only resource I have for entertainment/information, and my work does not often require me to respond to emails as soon as I receive them. This lead me to think that the main issues causing the battery to drain quickly would not be that big of an issue for me.

I don't intend to jailbreak my phone, but I did read about this issue.

Google did release maps for iOS 6 though, so that shouldn't be an issue. Or do the Google maps also suck?

8. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

no, the google maps are good... but there's no way to make it your default maps app. So while I can use google maps reasonay efficiently for navigation, I'm stuck with what Apple calls maps in things lime The Weather Channel app and TransLoc (real time transit tracking to know when the next bus is coming by)

9. Acidfree thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. I live in LA, so I wouldn't use public transit apps. But I'm going to assume this is also the case when you are redirected for directions from safari. You have to copy/paste the address into the Google maps app instead.

That seems annoying, but I don't think that it would be something that would prevent me from updating.

Thanks for the info!

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i havent changed one thing from 6.1.2....all settings and apps are the same. right after i went to 6.1.3, the battery was totally worse than before. ive tried restoring and rebooting/resetting. nothing helps...im sure its the OS and nothing ive done or the settings/apps.

11. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I miss that feature too... :(