Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Well, I had a 15gb 3g ipod that has treated me well over the last 3 years. Recently, water spilled on it and I didn't notice it for awhile and it was on. After drying it out for several days, its still dead. Doesn't read when I pllug it into my computer or anything. I'm wondering if there is anything worth selling on this thing and if I can test the parts easily

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
brsboarder said:
Well, I had a 15gb 3g ipod that has treated me well over the last 3 years. Recently, water spilled on it and I didn't notice it for awhile and it was on. After drying it out for several days, its still dead. Doesn't read when I pllug it into my computer or anything. I'm wondering if there is anything worth selling on this thing and if I can test the parts easily

Umm chances are the LCD is still good, maybe the hard drive as well. Also the audio jack may be fine but you really have to test each part seperatly.. Usually water damage maily affects the mainboard and some times the circutry on the front plate.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
brsboarder said:

OO,
Sorry as for hte second part of your questions, you really need another complet ipod to check each part. You cn do this by one by one swapping the part from the broken ipod into the working ipod ans seeeing if the ipod works. It is a long and tidious process. I would say your best bet would be just to list hte whole broken ipod up on ebay, explain what happend and maybe youll get like $50 or so for it!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
if you salvage the parts, i recommend you sell them individually, because then more than one person can buy it, and you can charge more for each part :p
Hard drives from 3G iPods are dying now, so if you can salvage the HDD, selling prices are around $100-$150

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
if you salvage the parts, i recommend you sell them individually, because then more than one person can buy it, and you can charge more for each part :p
Hard drives from 3G iPods are dying now, so if you can salvage the HDD, selling prices are around $100-$150

I would like to see you or anyone get 100-150 for a used 15GB ipod hard drive! It just doesnt happen.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
One thing I would highly suggest would be to actually open the iPod and let it air dry. Over the years I've saved several pieces of electronics by opening them up and letting them air dry. Sometimes a simple drop of water is causing a short. You can get a diagram of how to open it up from any of the sites that sell iPod battery replacement.

Dave

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
ipodcentral112 said:
I would like to see you or anyone get 100-150 for a used 15GB ipod hard drive! It just doesnt happen.
AUD, probably much less for USD. They aren't cheap, though. I was looking to replace the HDD in my 3G iPod, and i decided it was better value saying it was dead and buying a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.