Anything similar to Optimus Mini Three Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by darthmullet, Dec 5, 2007.

1. darthmullet macrumors member

The Optimus Mini Three Keyboard is very tempting, but at $135 I can't really justify it. I would really like something similar but it doesn't necessarily need to have the functionality of keys. So basically, I would like to find a very small display that would work as an iTunes status, mail status, etc.

Does anyone know if such a device exists (or if there is some combination of software/hardware) that could work well in Mac OS X?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

3. darthmullet thread starter macrumors member

I have a second monitor hooked up to it for movies, tv tuner, etc usually. But I want something that will fit in a small space on top of a desk...

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No other real options. I wonder how the Three works though: I have a preorder on the 'full' Maximus and I am beginning to wonder if it will ever be released.

5. darthmullet thread starter macrumors member

I thinking so too. Some keyboards have a little screen (Logitech G15 for one) but I don't want a whole new keyboard...

As far as I know, it works as advertised. I think they have set a release date for February 2008 on the Maximus. It looks simply amazing.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I have a few G15's and also the display on my Dell XPS M1730 - which is actually the G15's display but smaller. I have absolutely nothing useful to do with them apart from the clock, which is good (but not of course essential). Looks like the planned software support didn't show up for it, and I haven't really seen anything compelling produced by Logitech's SDK. I'd say give it a miss even if you were considering it.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have been wanting this for years, and at this point I have given up.

Many years ago, it was coming, at the "price of a nice cell phone", which I figured would be around $500 (non-subsidized smartphone price...).

I just checked out the site, saw that the keyboard was about $500.00 US, with an actual month of release. I got excited, and thought, "wow, I will finally get one. Then I saw that is for ONE active key. What a joke... A normal keyboard ($50) plus 1 OLED Key (say $65), and you have a $500 keyboard. I wish them well.

The fully active version is over $1500.00 US, and at that price point it is just simply not worth it to me. Too bad.

It seems like the Mini Three is actually a better value relative to its supposed big brother... I may break down and get one now, since it seems like the only one of these I would be able to even somewhat justify to myself.