Anything to do after restoring a drive with CCC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Akarin, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

Hi all,

My Mac Mini crashed due to an error and refused to boot afterwards. I could boot on an external drive that has a clone of my main drive made with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I'm currently copying the clone back to the main drive after wiping it clean. Still a few hours to go, 810GB of data to copy.

I was wondering if after the drive has been restored I should do something in particular? I'm thinking about iCloud services that could potentially fail (due to it detected as a new install), iTunes that has my iDevices linked to it, etc. I know for example that I will need to re-enable Dropbox as it will detect it as a different machine, regenerate my ssh keys, etc.

Anything else you think I should do?

Thanks for your help!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I would think that whatever you've had to do on the clone you'll have to do again on the restore.

3. Akarin thread starter macrumors 6502

Akarin

I haven't done anything on the clone. Just set CCC to copy back to the main.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Once the copy is done, you should be "ready to go".

One thing to bear in mind:
    The clone is only as "up-to-date" as your last backup.

Any changes that you made since the time of the last backup, will not be there.

Restoring from the CCC clone can "get you pretty close to where you were", but not quite 100% (unless, of course, the crash came just after the last previous backup).