Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Aside from the usual eBay stuff like seller feedback etc., is there anything else I should know?

I plan to use the iPhone on a O2 Pay & Go SIM with the £7.50 web add-on.

Thanks in advance.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Aside from the usual eBay stuff like seller feedback etc., is there anything else I should know?

I plan to use the iPhone on a O2 Pay & Go SIM with the £7.50 web add-on.

Thanks in advance.

If not posted in the ad:

What firmware is it currently on?
Is it Jailbroken/unlocked or completely "stock"?
Any scratches or breaks?
Any battery issues?
Negative black screen issues?
Does it come with charger, dock, etc.?
How long has owner had it? Did they buy it new (relates to battery life)?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Thanks so far.

Also, if I get a good iPhone that hasent been dropped much or anything, will it last long? I obviously wont have a warranty so I need to make sure it wont break after a few months.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks so far.

Also, if I get a good iPhone that hasent been dropped much or anything, will it last long? I obviously wont have a warranty so I need to make sure it wont break after a few months.

It's always a crap shoot when buying off Ebay. The seller may have a legitimate reason for selling like they upgraded to a 3G, they want a different phone or they just need the money OR they may be selling because the battery sucks, they're having hardware issues or there is some other problem. The trick is to ask lots of questions if you're unsure and pay attention to not only WHAT the seller says but HOW they say it.

Otherwise, if it is a good solid phone it should last you quite awhile. Remember though...no battery lasts forever and will need to be replaced at some point.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
It's always a crap shoot when buying off Ebay. The seller may have a legitimate reason for selling like they upgraded to a 3G, they want a different phone or they just need the money OR they may be selling because the battery sucks, they're having hardware issues or there is some other problem. The trick is to ask lots of questions if you're unsure and pay attention to not only WHAT the seller says but HOW they say it.

Otherwise, if it is a good solid phone it should last you quite awhile. Remember though...no battery lasts forever and will need to be replaced at some point.

Yeah, a lot of the sellers say they upgraded to the 3G, and a lot of sellers also have a lot of positive feedback, too.

I assume you have experience with eBay, so does this look legit to you? (I'm not buying that one but it looks good to me and I wanna get an opinion of someone who knows about this stuff).

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, a lot of the sellers say they upgraded to the 3G, and a lot of sellers also have a lot of positive feedback, too.

I assume you have experience with eBay, so does this look legit to you? (I'm not buying that one but it looks good to me and I wanna get an opinion of someone who knows about this stuff).

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for several years. The link you posted actually looks pretty legit and honest. Just my opinion though...

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I've been buying and selling on Ebay for several years. The link you posted actually looks pretty legit and honest. Just my opinion though...

OK, thanks!

I am opening an account tomorrow and putting my old iBook G3 up as well as some things my mum and my family want to sell, I might buy a iPhone then.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Oh, one more thing!

Is the method of using a standard O2 Pay & Go sim with the web add-on tried and tested?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.