Anything to remove scratches from the chrome?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nickel Dime Bay, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

I had a rebel capsule on my 3 week old iphone 3gs and it scratched the CRAP out of my lower chrome lip. Is there anything you guys recommend to get rid of the scratches?

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Can you narrow it down a bit?

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Bezel Blaster from Radtech.com Although, from what I have seen, this is just a super fine grit sanding pad. I think that if you use it to much, it will likely take away the shine of the chrome bezel. Not that this is bad, but just be prepared for that.

4. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Are you talking about the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel case? I used one for 11 months (stopped when the bottom sagged when I transferred to my 3GS) and the inner part is kind of soft. It seems to safely cover the bezel better than many other cases. How can it scratch your phone?

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

6. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

It is the bottom part, cos it's flimsy, moves up and down a bit, causing tiny scratches along the bottom part of the chrome. Other part seems fine.

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Why not just use something you might already have?

If you already have cleaner/waxing products for your clear coated car, then it'll do the same thing. If you really want to get fancy, get a chrome polishing kit.

The iPhone chrome bezel is the same material as your plastic bumpered car/truck nowadays (if you have chrome on the bumper), it's just a much smaller surface area on your iPhone.

The Radtech kit linked to just looks like a pad of 1500 grit refinishing pad (available at any home improvement store), a polishing cloth (old TShirt :)), and a small freezer baggie.....

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Yup Capsule Rebel is fairly poorly designed imo. I had it on for maybe a week and the sagging was terrible.

9. Nickel Dime Bay thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies, i just got my speck candyshell yesterday and its a lot better than the rebel. The bottom just looks nasty now, im going to try and do it myself and if that doesnt work ill go ahead and get that radtech thing.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Seems this Radtech stuff works well, but also takes away the bling shine of the chrome bezel.

I'd like to try it just because I kind of like the look of that satin finish chrome...

11. jblock macrumors regular

You can get the shine back by using a buffing wheel at a low speed and the appropriate polisher.

12. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Anyone have good results with Brasso on the 3G/3GS?

I've searched this forum and google, but most results were for ipods and macbooks.

Any potential dangers of using it?

13. navigates macrumors 6502a

I'd like to know more on the buffing when option. I always wanted to have a hobbyist kit like this.

14. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

1-Brasso is a liquid, not a paste.
    2-Even with the most care taken, it's messy.
    3-You'll be dizzy and have a headache in 5 mins if not used in a ventilated area.
    4-3 rags. One to put it on, one to buff, one to shine.