Anything to replace clicktoflash?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by steve333, Oct 9, 2015.

1. steve333 macrumors 6502a

Looks like Apple removed clicktoflash from the safari extensions page.
    Can anything in replace it, to be able to download videos?

2. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

3. TETENAL macrumors member

4. steve333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought it might be a security issue since they pulled it from the app store

I want to be able to convert to html5 and then download a clip using clicktoflash

5. KALLT macrumors 601

They just created a new extensions gallery. The only caveat is that Safari 9 will only auto-update extensions that are in the new gallery. Everything else has to be updated manually.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

But the question is: why Apple removed it from the extensions gallery ?

7. KALLT macrumors 601

They didn’t remove it specifically. They just created a new gallery, i.e. removed all apps. Resubmitting requires a developer licence now, which probably stops many extensions from being resubmitted.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

thank you.
    Not happy about it

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Apple thinks Safari has a massive usage share, enough to charge $99 to develop extensions. It's kinda cute :)

Seriously though, this is one of the main reasons I'm reluctant to upgrade to Safari 9/El Capitan on my main Mac, despite the improvements it brings. I can't even develop my own extensions for my own browser without having them automatically deleted on restart (I have a free developer certificate, and it still works just fine for Safari 8).

10. KALLT macrumors 601

The developer certificate will expire soon though and it can’t be renewed. Mine expired a while ago.

I don’t know why they did it. Most extensions were hobby projects without monetary incentives. The aspect of payment completely ruins it.

11. steve333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

clicktoflash isn't in there last I checked. I still have it in safari from before but when I uncheck the enable box and then re-enable it I get a warning about it not being from the gallery. I know they removed some apps for security reasons so I'm reluctant to use it. Hard to believe that clicktoflash is the only app of it's kind but I searched and found nothing that does what it does

12. steve333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just checked, there is no more manual update selection like there used to be, for any of my extensions

13. chrfr macrumors 603

You'll see the option to update when updates are available.

14. steve333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, there used to be a spot to check for an update

15. chrfr macrumors 603

Yeah, apparently that just happens automatically now. I wish there was a popup to let the user know that there's updates available.

16. steve333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I emailed the developer, he said clicktoflash won't go back to the app store since they are charging a fee for it now.