Anything to take note of before doing a clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FelixGSTLA, Sep 17, 2011.

1. FelixGSTLA macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro's been running pretty slow for the past year or so (it's around 2-3 years old now) with Safari and Finder beach balling frequently, so I'm planning on doing a clean install of Snow Leopard (haven't yet got Lion) and was wondering if there is anything I should make sure of before wiping my hard drive.

Mainly I'm worried about anything that won't be taken care of automatically, like forgetting to deauthorize iTunes before formatting.

Also, I've made a Clone Carbon Copy of my disk on an external HD, would everything still work fine if I just dragged specific applications and preference files back onto my computer from that instead of doing a complete restore? Would doing a clean restore cause my system to be as slow as it is now?

Thanks~

2. Sc00tr macrumors regular

Looks like you got a good plan. For the most part you can drag and drop most everything. You should not have any problems. You will need to reinstall the apps that have installers. You can always boot off the USB drive.

3. FelixGSTLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, looks like I'll try going through with this soon (I've been planning on doing one for months now, but I've been too lazy to until now...)

One more question, I've heard that Boot Camp isn't affected by a Snow Leopard reinstall as long as I don't repartition when formatting. Have there been any complications that rise from having the Boot Camp partition formatted for VMware Fusion?

4. Sc00tr macrumors regular

During the install you do not touch any other partition except the one that you are installing onto. Partition should not be affected by the install but you will need to reinstall VMware and set it up again. I don't know if there is any complications, I don't use boot camp.