Anything to worry about in dealing with craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nedley09, Sep 21, 2014.

1. nedley09 macrumors newbie

I have a person who wants to trade his plus for my 6 and some cash. The imei from tmobile is clear of financing. And totally paid off. You think it's a safe trade?

2. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

Make sure the phone is not set up already because if its stolen you wont be able to reset it. Meet in a crowded place like the mall to prevent the chance of getting robbed and dont go alone.

3. uchosen macrumors 6502

4. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

1. Check IMEI # before you come to meet the person. Ask for this # and call the carrier issued this phone.

2. Try to Access iCloud on the phone when you are with the person. Put your Apple ID and password and wait for it to start synching (Bring your nano-sim card). Be sure "Find My iPhone" is activated under your Apple ID.

3. Check that the bills are legit

4. Check the Camera and at the same time take a pic of the person for future reference (without him knowing).

Enjoy.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Craigslist? I don't think it's worth it. To save what? Vs the risk?

Ummmm, nope.

6. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Meet in public or a t-mobile store and when you meet him, verify the imei is the same one he gave you earlier.

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I have sold quite a few iPhones through Craigslist. It is safe just make sure you meet at a public place, AKA Apple Store, Starbucks, etc.

Don't go alone.

8. coasterswim macrumors 6502

As a seller, I would not let the buyer turn on Find My iPhone until the sale is complete.

9. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I've sold a couple old model phones on CL. No problem at all. Meet in public, cover all your bases and so forth.
    However, would I date someone off CL? That's a no.

10. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a verizon unlocked phone I'd use on tmobile. If he reports it stolen to vzw will it affect me? And I will be meeting him at my local pd

11. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Call Verizon and give them imei and see if it has any issues.

12. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

You let to do it after the money is in your pocket.

13. CKtoph macrumors 6502

I always meet in an Apple Store or cell store when selling my phones. I actually sold my 5 to a kid upon receiving my 6+. He was pretty diligent about making sure the phone was legit -- made sure to put his SIM in my phone, made a phone call with it, etc.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't understand why people are so paranoid about Craigslist on these boards. Meet at a TMO store. Have them activate each phone while you are there. Both of you wipe the phone in the other's presence.

I have swapped phones (AT&T) twice now. Just take some common sense safeguards. It's really not all that crazy a thing to do.

15. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

The sky is falling.The sky is falling.I have sold and bought several iPhones on craigslist without a issue. Did I mention the sky is falling?