anything worth upgrading to from classic 15 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isephmusic, Oct 25, 2013.

  1. isephmusic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #1
    any of the new macbooks worth upgrading to from a late 2012 classic 15inch i7 2.3 , 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, gtx 650m?
     
  2. JH19059 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    #2
    I can only tell you that I came from a 2009 13 in added and sad upgraded the ram to 8 gig max. Stared getting dead pixels on the screen and starred having vision issues (old age 40 lol) got a late 2012 retina 15 loved it but had to return it because of a ram issue. IN my opinion you have a great machine. NOW if the screen is an issue for you then yes upgrade. Retina is a godsend. Also the weight difference is very noticeable. My 13 inch feels heavier than my 15.
     
  3. ylmzonr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #3
    I have pretty much the same question too. I have a late 2011 cMBP and can't decide whether buy a new base 15 rMBP or wait for the next upgrade. Do you think the base model gets a dGPU next time they are upgraded?
     
  4. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #4
    I doubt the base will get dGPU as this is a way to separate the different models. Just a guess. Your laptop is not even 2 years old and you don't need to upgrade, you just want the latest toy. I know how that is.

    Let me know if you plan on selling. My sister damaged hers and is currently stuck with a non-mac. I think she'll definitely be happy getting back to a mac.
     
  5. JH19059 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    #5
    As far as graphics I believe they are going the way of the dinosaur, just like optical drives. I have the late 2013 2.3 16 gig 512 SSD with the 750 dedicated card. IS it overkill yes. The current Iris Pro from what I've been reading is just as capable as the old 650. Remember as technology gets better it normally gets smaller and lighter , which is the ultimate goal. IF you wan to upgrade your machine I would only do it if you want the latest and greatest or if you want retina, which in my opinion would be the only reason I would even consider upgrading between the two. Now when and if broadwell comes out next year then that might be a game changer but as for now just worry about if u need or want the better screen, lighter weight, a little better battery life. as I said earlier the only reason I got rid of my 2009 13 was due to wanting a bigger screen. Other than that that machine ran like a tank!
     
  6. ylmzonr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #6
    I'll let you know if I decide to buy a new one. I know I don't need to upgrade essentially. I just want a retina display and a thinner mac. But I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is broadwell worth to wait, I mean, would it be a game changer? If the difference between broadwell and haswell machines would be the same as the difference between haswell and ivy bridge machines, I'll go for it this year, otherwise I might wait, even though I always want the latest boy:)

     
  7. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #7
    Not sure what Broadwell would bring, but keep in mind that it won't be for at least another year. There's already a delay with them, so don't expect a broadwell macbook until next October.

    Are you willing to wait that long? Also, you might want retina but couldn't care less about Haswell - this is where you can save hundreds buying a refurb.
     

Share This Page