Anything wrong with the Canon HF S200?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by danpass, Sep 1, 2011.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

2. ender21 macrumors 6502

I really enjoyed my HF S100 while I had it. The oversized sensor and lens gave a little extra to the image quality, and the 24Mbps encode rate was appreciated as well. It had a tougher time in low light, but maybe the 200 is better at this. All in all a great product. It just got lost in the middle for me, between my iphone and dslr, so I Gazelle'd it.

3. racketeer71 macrumors regular

I think the HF S200 is dirt cheap at the moment.

It's several hundred bucks cheaper than the S21, and the only things you lose compared to that model is electronic viewfinder and the 64GB built-in storage. The rest is the same.

BUT BUT BUT! As I posted about a few days ago, I think they're approaching EOL. S100 was introduced around April 2009. The S200 was introduced around March 2010.

Spring has come and gone in 2011 with no successors. I believe there'll be new models soon, though I don't have any qualified knowledge to backup my belief.

4. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

I've going thru ebay on several models, the S200, now the S100, as well as the HV20 and HV40.

I don't mind tape so much but SD cards are certainly more durable and quicker to transfer to computer.

But the S100 and S200 seem to be nearly the same price lol

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

just note that I believe its AVCHD so you will have to transcode the files which takes a up a lot of HDD space.

6. racketeer71 macrumors regular

Not in FCP X, I believe?

7. ender21 macrumors 6502

Correct.

8. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

You don't have to, but depending on your project you will likely want to. AVCHD is not an editing format--it'll bog down your system. If I'm doing a quick edit w/ basic titles in FCPX or Premiere I won't transcode, but if it's a more intensive project I will. I do like that FCPX will handle the transcode and swap to the new files automatically. Very handy.