Anyway to block Caselmedia?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dave00, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

So, for some reason, pop-ups from Caselmedia seem to be able to avoid the "pop-up blocker" function on Safari and Firefox. Worse, these flash-based ads do something to just totally ramp up the CPU usage on my MacBook, so that it sounds like a plane ready to take off. Seems like there should be a way to block the loading of any url containing "caselmedia" but I can't figure out how. Any ideas?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try PithHelmet, or Safari AdBlock. Either one should allow you to block that domain, and also any other flash ads.

jW

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it's flash based, you can use flashblock on Firefox. I use it to block ads from playing on web pages. If you want, you can still click on an icon and it will go ahead and play the flash stuff.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Firefox's adblock is top notch. I don't realize how many ads most sites have until I launch Safari.

5. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This Caselmedia thing seems to be able to be able to avoid the adblocker, though. Not sure why. Particularly annoying, because it's a pop-under, so the only way you know is that everything slows down. I may just block all flash; I keep thinking that will kill something in the web sites I frequent, but I can't think of an example of one that requires flash. Is flashblock an add-on? I noticed there is an option to block cookies from certain sites - does this work for all extensions of a site? I mean, if you block site.com, does it also block foo.site.com, and bar.site.com?

Dave