Anyway to change an icon

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sillyrabbitt, Apr 9, 2011.

1. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

I hate the YouTube icon. I would like it to look like the YouTube logo. Anyway to do that? Thanks in advance.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Not unless your the developer. I don't think say Apple would like it if you changed the icon for Pages or Keynote, I don't think YouTube would take it kindly if people changed their icon.

3. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

apple changed the youtube icon.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

No offense or disrespect intended, but you are neither Apple nor YouTube! :rolleyes:

They have the authority to do as they please with their icons we don't.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

jailbreak and change it to whatever you like.

and to save you (and us) from any future icon changing questions, you can't change the icon of ANY iPad icon, unless you jailbreak. period. dot.

6. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Nope! However, I have several bookmarks on a page on my iPad and iPhone and when you save a bookmark to the home screen, you CAN create your own icon using Touch Icon App..

So get the App.. Make your own bookmark for You Tube with whatever picture you want.. hide Apples You Tube app in a folder and you have a work around, without jail breaking!

7. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

I am used to android and you can change any icon...

I think i will jailbreak once we can for the ipad2

I will try this THANKS for your help!!

Actually leads me to another unrelated questions:

why does the apple youtube app kind of suck? the results it brings up are lacking? then if i go to youtube from safari or atomic it doesnt work with no flash???

8. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I've never done this, but as far as I know you can change the icons without jailbreaking by using iPhone Explorer, a free app. However, every update will reinstall the original icon. No idea if it works with Apple's own icons or just third party apps. Do so at your own risk.

iPhone explorer is also useful for transferring between iOS devices, such as transferring the native drawings in Adobe Ideas with all the layers and vectors in place rather than exporting as a PDF. You can also use it to transfer game info between devices.

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2...e-your-iphone-app-icons-without-jailbreaking/

9. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

YES YOU CAN, AND IT DOES NOT REQUIRE A JAILBREAK.

Just download iPhone Explorer (available for Mac and pc). Navigate to Apps->App Name->App Name.app-> whatever developer chose to call the icons. Typically it has a resolution as part of the file name I.e. icon 72x72.png

You want to first make a backup of the original 72x72 file. Then create a new icon with a 72 by 72 pixels at 72dpi. For universal apps you will probably notice several other icon sizes, but the native one to display will be the 72x72 so you don't need to modify others if you don't want to.

After you have a new icon made (in photoshop or something), save it with the same exact filename that is contained in the AppName.app folder. When you try to drag the file into that folder using iPhone Explorer, you will be prompted of whether to overwrite the original.

If you want to make your own icons, don't worry able rounding the edges. iOS automatically does this. So you can create 72 by 72 pixel at 72 dpi PNG files for all you apps for a really custom look without jailbreaking!!!

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

doesn't work for Apple apps, like YouTube. only 3rd party apps.