anyway to customize apples mail app to direct messages like Gmails app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by audirs5, Feb 4, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

So i have messages in gmail that go under "forum" "updates" ect.. Anyway to do that with the Apple Mail app? Only reason I even use Gmails app is for that reason. to filter out the hundreds of messages I get from Salesforce and whatnot into those folders.

Thanks

2. truskowr macrumors member

I think the easiest way is to do it from icloud. So once you log in, go the email section. Then you click on the + next to folders. You can then name the folder anything you want. The next step is to create a rule. Click on the gear icon on the bottom left of the screen and click on rule. then click on add a rule. Enter you parameters and you should be set.

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

if you are using a gmail address maybe try setting up the filters or rules via the gmail website.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The question is about Gmail.

If you go to Gmail's Settings>Labels you'll see that there isn't the option to "Show in IMAP" for those Inbox categories, which would be the only way to get them directly in iOS Mail.

Also, I don't see a way to create a filter to add a label (add to folder) for the Inbox categories. You might be able to create a custom filter and import it into the Gmail filters. I'm thinking you'd have to create a new label (folder), for example "My Social", and have the custom filter add the "My Social" label to anything labeled "Social". If that works, then you could add the "My Social" mailbox to the main mailbox list in iOS.

5. truskowr macrumors member

I believe he is asking how to do this in the Apple Mail App. He already has it set up this way in gmail.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I should have made it clear I was talking about the Gmail website for those Gmail settings and not the iOS Gmail app.

Yes, he's talking about getting the final result in iOS Mail close to what you get in the Gmail iOS app, as this is the iOS 8 forum.

7. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. Yea, I want to get my native mail app to work the gmail app. But from the looks of it, no correct? Just more work?

Bummer because the ability to snooze alerts and stuff was killer. But for work I get several hundred of emails sent to me, they need to be distributed perfectly or else I'm dead with notifications!

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Try outlook mail, it may do what you need, certain pushes gmail for me and also pumps in my iCloud mail too

9. kolax macrumors G3

Always do your rules/filtering on the server side (gmail.com), not client side (app). I have Gmail working this way for me without any problems and I'm all IMAP with native Mac/iOS email clients.

Someone already posted the solution about using labels via the Gmail website, so scroll up.

10. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, so all my rules ARE on the gmail side. Not the app. All labels were setup using gmail.com, and all the addresses where told where to go on that. So just IMAP for the email app?

Also, will this push emails or do I need to pull every hour or so?

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Yes, set it up as imap in the email app.

You can set the fetch schedule to 15, 30, hourly, or manual. Under settings->mail, contacts, calendars -> fetch new data