Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulvone19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Alot of us know if you have a router that combines 2.4 and 5 ghz, the XS is defaulting to the 2.4 band only, and it’s a software issue which Apple has yet to fix. Besides splitting those bands onto their own networks, is there any way I could have the AirPort Extreme make the iPhone XS run only on the 5ghz band and disable the 2.4 band?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i don't think you want or need to "disable" the 2.4 band.
first, the 2.4 and 5.0 are not "combined". they are totally separate.
if all you want to do is to have yr iPhone always default to the 5.0 band you can do this well enough by:
1 naming the 2.4 and 5.0 meter bands two different names. such as yourname24 and yourname50.
you can do this renaming in iOS using the Airport Utility app available apple,or, using the macOS Airport Utility.
2 allowing yr iPhone to connect to the 2.4 network (which it might even not do now that you have renamed it)
but if it persists and defaults to the 2.4 then in Settings/WiFi/(network name) Info then do 2 things: 1 forget this network, and 2 unclick Autojoin.
3 then join the 5.0 band and click auto join.
no need to disable either band for those devices that dont have this problem.
even the iPhone Xs with this problem it seems to have can not join a network that it doesn't have the password for.

Reactions: colodane

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Alot of us know if you have a router that combines 2.4 and 5 ghz, the XS is defaulting to the 2.4 band only, and it’s a software issue which Apple has yet to fix. Besides splitting those bands onto their own networks, is there any way I could have the AirPort Extreme make the iPhone XS run only on the 5ghz band and disable the 2.4 band?

I found long ago that slightly changing the 5GHZ name to slightly different SSID naming. What I do on my routers is put a (5 GHZ) ending to the 5GH naming scheme from the 2.4 name! This has served me well in Wi-Fi SSID naming and I haven't run into hardly any Wi-Fi problems!

This might just work for your naming on the two modes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.