anyway to delete duplicate contacts?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Is it everywhere or just on your iPhone?

I found that the duplicates (don't know how it happened either) were just on my phone, not on iCloud.com.

So I turned off contacts on the phone and erased them all. Then I turned it back on and that fixed it.

See if that's your situation too.

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
i have some in my icloud website, not sure how long they been there. should i delete the ones there, then do what u did

----------

how do my contacts get to icloud.com? is it just because i did a back up to there before

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I've had this problem too. Seems like everything doesnt work as seamlessly as it should. Deleting them didnt work good for me because i found that sometimes they werent exactly duplicates. Sometimes one would have the persons personal email and the other the same persons work email. I found a pretty good trick though that works for me.

Go into "Contacts"
Select contact with a duplicate
Hit "Edit"
Go down and select "Linked Cards"
then select the other duplicate contact
now "save"

Now the contacts are merged and only show as one contact in your address book.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If your Mac is signed into iCloud (and you have Contacts set to sync), you can go into the Address Book application and use the Card | Look for Duplicates menu bar option.

The only thing I don't like about that is that it tells you the number of duplicates it found, and gives you the option of merging duplicate cards, but it doesn't give you a preview of the data it found.

That being that, the feature has always worked well for me. :)

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Settings > iCloud > Turn contacts "off" and then back "on"

This worked for me. Not sure if I got lucky, but you could try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.