Anyway to disable LTE and use 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apollo 13, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

rather use 3G for podcast and pandora instead of LTE.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yes, go into network settings and disable LTE.

I don't see the point to that tho. If you are using it for podcasts you will use the same amount of data...it will just load a lot faster...seems punishing with no reward.

3. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

read about ppl using to much data with podcast in the ios section so want to turn it off unless I need to use it. Also a good thing in case my 3 year daughter grabs my phone and open up netflix and watch her shows.

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

In your daughter's case, might I suggest employing passcode lock for the lock screen.

5. jkane08 macrumors member

I still don't get it. You'd be using the same amount of data, just loading it faster. Not using anymore..

6. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

I thought the same thing until I got my iPad 3 with LTE and used my 2 GB allotment in about a week. I heard on the radio that others were having the same issue and they were explaining how LTE actually uses more data for the same content than 3G would. I think that is what this guy is trying to prevent.

7. auero macrumors 65816

No. Many applications like pandora and Netflix stream based on how fast the connection is. So
    A faster connection results in higher bitrate and more data.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You don't use any more data. A podcast doesn't change in size just because you can download it faster.

9. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah I thought that too when I read the posts but don't want to take any chance. Also Netflix will use as much data as it can. I had to put a download speed limit on my router for my ipad and xbox 360. I kept going over my cable companies data limit because of my daughter and fience using netflix so much. Turning on 3G on my iphone makes me feel i have that control too.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You can change the settings in your netflix account. They have good/better/best at .3/.7/1GB per hour respectively. (Best can be up to 2.3GB/hour for HD) You have to do a little more work on your end to control your bandwidth usage but there no need to shut it off completely.

The podcast thing is just paranoid. A 30MB file is a 30MB file. If it says you used more than that then you are getting screwed by your carrier.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you listen to what you wrote?
    It uses more data for the same amount of data?
    Wtf?:)

12. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Some services will take advantage of a faster LTE connection by sending a higher quality stream that uses more data. I don't think Pandora is one of those, but I could be wrong.