Anyway to disable LTE and use 3G?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
yes, go into network settings and disable LTE.

I don't see the point to that tho. If you are using it for podcasts you will use the same amount of data...it will just load a lot faster...seems punishing with no reward.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2010
yes, go into network settings and disable LTE.

I don't see the point to that tho. If you are using it for podcasts you will use the same amount of data...it will just load a lot faster...seems punishing with no reward.
read about ppl using to much data with podcast in the ios section so want to turn it off unless I need to use it. Also a good thing in case my 3 year daughter grabs my phone and open up netflix and watch her shows.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
read about ppl using to much data with podcast in the ios section so want to turn it off unless I need to use it. Also a good thing in case my 3 year daughter grabs my phone and open up netflix and watch her shows.
In your daughter's case, might I suggest employing passcode lock for the lock screen.

jkane08

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I still don't get it. You'd be using the same amount of data, just loading it faster. Not using anymore..

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
I thought the same thing until I got my iPad 3 with LTE and used my 2 GB allotment in about a week. I heard on the radio that others were having the same issue and they were explaining how LTE actually uses more data for the same content than 3G would. I think that is what this guy is trying to prevent.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I still don't get it. You'd be using the same amount of data, just loading it faster. Not using anymore..
No. Many applications like pandora and Netflix stream based on how fast the connection is. So
A faster connection results in higher bitrate and more data.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You don't use any more data. A podcast doesn't change in size just because you can download it faster.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2010
You don't use any more data. A podcast doesn't change in size just because you can download it faster.
yeah I thought that too when I read the posts but don't want to take any chance. Also Netflix will use as much data as it can. I had to put a download speed limit on my router for my ipad and xbox 360. I kept going over my cable companies data limit because of my daughter and fience using netflix so much. Turning on 3G on my iphone makes me feel i have that control too.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
yeah I thought that too when I read the posts but don't want to take any chance. Also Netflix will use as much data as it can. I had to put a download speed limit on my router for my ipad and xbox 360. I kept going over my cable companies data limit because of my daughter and fience using netflix so much. Turning on 3G on my iphone makes me feel i have that control too.
You can change the settings in your netflix account. They have good/better/best at .3/.7/1GB per hour respectively. (Best can be up to 2.3GB/hour for HD) You have to do a little more work on your end to control your bandwidth usage but there no need to shut it off completely.

The podcast thing is just paranoid. A 30MB file is a 30MB file. If it says you used more than that then you are getting screwed by your carrier.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I thought the same thing until I got my iPad 3 with LTE and used my 2 GB allotment in about a week. I heard on the radio that others were having the same issue and they were explaining how LTE actually uses more data for the same content than 3G would. I think that is what this guy is trying to prevent.
Did you listen to what you wrote?
It uses more data for the same amount of data?
Wtf?:)

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Some services will take advantage of a faster LTE connection by sending a higher quality stream that uses more data. I don't think Pandora is one of those, but I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.