Anyway to downgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

If I was to buy a 13" MacBook Pro now with Lion, would it be possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard? How would I go about doing so?

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Rule is you should never install a OS older than the version that the hardware came with. Someone tried it on their new macbook air and it won't even boot up afterwards, had to get it replaced. So safer to just avoid that.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The current MBPs were originally released with 10.6 and therefore all the drivers etc are available. The tricky part is obtaining a restore DVD. You might be in luck if you can find a reseller with old stock; you'll still be able to claim a free 10.7 upgrade through Up To Date in case you want to upgrade later.

If you can't find old stock then you'll need to get your hands on a 10.6 MBP restore DVD. I have no idea how to manage that...

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If Apple doesn't update the hardware from the current hardware, then you'll be able to use a 2011 Macbook Pro Snow Leopard Reinstallation DVD. A retail disc will not work. But remember, once the hardware is updated, there's no way to get Snow Leopard to run on it.

5. simsaladimbamba

It should be possible, as the MBP has been released with 10.6.x, so if you can get your hands on a version one point above that, it should work.
    There is even some torrent for the Restore DVDs for the 2011 MBPs out there (yeah, I know).