Anyway to fix slow wifi on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodmac, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ipodmac macrumors regular

Is there Anyway to fix slow wifi on rMBP without changing wifi or changing from magic mouse. The wifi is useable however it is slowed down with interference from the bluetooth card with is apparently too close to the wifi card.

I haven't been able to find a solution with the only one being don't use bluetooth or get a 5GHz router. Is this still the case?

Is it worth phoning apple and asking why the magic mouse is slowing down my wifi speed?

2. iphonehype macrumors 6502

So your saying the magic mouse is slowing down your Wi-Fi speed? Go to speediest.coma and post your results. I dont think the magic mouse could possibly slow your Wi-Fi speed down because it uses bluetooth interface, unless they use the same frequency somehow.

3. ipodmac thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah its a recognised problem
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4113552?start=0&tstart=0

I was just wondering what other people do to try to fix it or do you not use the magic mouse?

4. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Indeed I do, I used the Magic Mouse with mid 2010 MacBook Pro and never had an issue. Haven't tried the Magic Mouse with my MacBook Pro Retina only got delivered yesterday. I could live without the magic mouse till the issue gets fixed, the trackpad does do the job!

5. itmachines macrumors newbie

Heating Issue?

Hi,

I have had the same problem off and on for the past few weeks.... I am not sure I can attribute this to a heating issue... but I have found in some cases... when my mac reaches a certain temperature... this wifi issue rears its head...

when unplugging the power... and it cools down a bit... then the speed goes back to normal... (mostly)

Its erratic though - so I cannot guarantee it...

BUT... I have tried the DNS settings, the channel 6 on the router, and a few other settings... which do not bring consistent improvements on an 8 hour day... where the wifi slows down several times during the day.

I also find in some cases that firefox is slow, but skype continues as normal... and a chrome session continues as normal... so also not sure if firefox which has gmail loaded is to blame... but I have Little Snitch loaded so can see that there is no demand on network traffic coming from Firefox and gmail :S... so baffled there too :S

Baffled to say the least about this... as its effecting my work a lot.

6. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Has anyone found a viable solution to this problem? I have a new 2013 Haswell rMBP 15" and was wondering why browsing the web seemed so much slower than my 2011 MBA. Turned off the bluetooth (connected to Magic Mouse) and speed resumed back to normal. I'm using an older FiOS router fwiw.

Should I return or exchange it? Or is this an inherent problem with all models?

7. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Sounds like interference between the Bluetooth signal and the frequency of the WiFi from your Router. Can you change the channel your router is running on? Is it slow on other wifi connections with the Bluetooth mouse enabled?

8. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Yes, something is causing severe interference. Changing the channel unfortunately didn't seem to have much effect. I haven't had a chance to test a different network with the Magic Mouse. I'm sure the problem won't show up in the Apple Store because they are more likely running on 5Ghz networks. So...is it my machine or are rMBPs just inefficient at connecting to 2.4Ghz networks with bluetooth activated :( ?

9. itmachines macrumors newbie

My Solution

Hi,

I found a solution in my case and I have not had issues with the internet speed since then, and I was able to reproduce it almost every time I switched... but my solution:

on the MBP, there are 2 thunderbolt ports (left and right) when looking at it from the left... I always had my second display plugged into the left one (one closest to the mag-power) ... once day I noticed that when I unplugged the display... my wifi speed went back to normal... I could sit on the speedtest.net page, and refresh with it plugged in, and unplug it and refresh (and it was faster) and then plug it back in and refresh and test, and it went back to being slower.... SO... I then plugged the display into the right-side port, and refreshed and the speed was not effected!

So, in my case, my wifi speed was getting interfearance from the left-side thunderbolt port being used as a second-display and after swapping the display onto the right-side port, I no longer have any slow wifi-problems!!!

I hope this helps others that have this particular situation!

Cheers,
    Brad