Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpeters87

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I have a JB'd 16GB iPhone 3G

When I swipe the Status bar at the top of the screen and the SBS application appears, it gives me the option to Free Up Memory from the Processes screen, but I was wondering if there were any other settings were I could use some of the HD space as kind of Virtual Memory?

My phone shows about 55MB of Available Memory when I'm not running any apps.

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
There is an app called iphoneVM which creates a swap file which gives you more space. I use it and have gotten 81mb free memory on my 3G but I've been noticing lately that apps won't open when I still have 30 megs free and the only other thing running is safari. I have to close safari to get anything else to launch, so I'm starting to question it's method.

You can also delete language files and unneccessary launchd daemons but I've never felt the need to do either so I don't have any firsthand experience. I believe I saw the info for those on modmyi.com

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
download

Memtool off cydia it will let you free up memory with out rebooting quickly and easily, another type of App that Apple no longer allows in the app store. works great

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I have a JB'd 16GB iPhone 3G

When I swipe the Status bar at the top of the screen and the SBS application appears, it gives me the option to Free Up Memory from the Processes screen, but I was wondering if there were any other settings were I could use some of the HD space as kind of Virtual Memory?

My phone shows about 55MB of Available Memory when I'm not running any apps.

55 to 60 is about normal for 3G

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
You may have already checked (and/or knew) this.....but some of the popular Cydia apps that tie into MobileSubstrate eat into memory. Different WinterBoard themes also slice away at it, sometimes heavily.

In my case, a 16gb 3Gs....from Cydia I run iBlacklist, SBSettings, LockInfo, Backgrounder (but hardly ever running it constantly), Notifier, Winterboard, Mirror Profile, and use the Buuf theme, along with the Talking Alerts theme. That's it, no other Cydia apps loaded other than what those apps require, and what Cydia installs.

I normally run ~130mb of memory.

If I change to the Aquoah theme, my iPhone runs ~110 mb of memory.

This is just 'normal usage' numbers, using the phone, Safari and Mail.

I can also gain 10mb of that memory back, with either theme if I delete Notifier....but that's an app that I rely on, so it stays.

Still looking for a 'lightweight' WB theme that I like....

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
intresting

You may have already checked (and/or knew) this.....but some of the popular Cydia apps that tie into MobileSubstrate eat into memory. Different WinterBoard themes also slice away at it, sometimes heavily.

In my case, a 16gb 3Gs....from Cydia I run iBlacklist, SBSettings, LockInfo, Backgrounder (but hardly ever running it constantly), Notifier, Winterboard, Mirror Profile, and use the Buuf theme, along with the Talking Alerts theme. That's it, no other Cydia apps loaded other than what those apps require, and what Cydia installs.

I normally run ~130mb of memory.

If I change to the Aquoah theme, my iPhone runs ~110 mb of memory.

This is just 'normal usage' numbers, using the phone, Safari and Mail.

I can also gain 10mb of that memory back, with either theme if I delete Notifier....but that's an app that I rely on, so it stays.

Still looking for a 'lightweight' WB theme that I like....

same as I run including winterboard and Aquoah theme 158mb free I few others I also run Mquickdo not sure how it effects momory also fyi bosspaper is not as much of a memory hog as winterboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.