Anyway to get back old system preferences bar?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by piller97, Sep 12, 2014.

1. piller97 macrumors newbie

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if its possible to have system preferences show the forwards and backwards buttons(like it did pre-yosemite)?
    I find it really annoying having to hit show all rather than just going back..

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Doesn't the back button and the show all button do the same thing with one click? There is no way to bring back the old forward and back buttons.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not necessarily (at least in 10.9); for example, Region & Language > Keyboard Preferences will switch to the Keyboard pane, then Back will go back to Region & Language, not to the overall list.

Names may not be 100% accurate; my OS isn't in English :)

4. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Also you can't swipe the trackpad back and forth since they got rid of the back/forward buttons. Now you need to click the 'show all' button instead.

5. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

I hate how Apple put design over functionality. Yes, design matters and removing the arrows on the top of preferences bar indeed made the whole preference windows look better, But it sucks! I don't care about how thin the whole windows it! I just want to go back to previous panel with one click!

Stop it Apple!

6. antoniogra7 macrumors member

Seriously, in how many occasions does this even matter? Apart from the one noticed by Nermal and Users to Parental controls, I couldn't find any other preference panel that link to another one, so there is not really much functionality in the back button. Sure, if you go to General, then back to show all and then another one, you could get back to general clicking two times back, but so could you do it clicking show all and then general. I don't understand how this is such a big deal.

7. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

I don't mind so much about the back/forward buttons going, but I do miss the ability to swipe back/forward with trackpad. This aspect to me is a step back and loss of functionality.

8. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Did you know if you click and hold the 'Show All' button, you get a list of every Preference Pane. So you can jump to anywhere, from anywhere. This is also available in the menu bar under 'View'.

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's as good as the back button, but it's better than nothing I assume.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

Not suggested yet - I use the Command-[ and Command-] keyboard shortcuts that work for several web browsers too. Works in Yosemite and Mavericks for the Finder and System Preferences too...

10. piller97 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the main reason for my complaint.
    Yes, it isn't often that a menu is tiered to such a degree that "Show All" isn't ideal, but having to click the "Show All" button, instead of just swiping seems dumb to me.

It seems(in a number of cases) that apple has opted to discard streamlined functionality to refine design.

i don't see why design change necessitated so many user interface changes

11. bmac89, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

It is back in PB3, however there is a few problems with swiping back with trackpad on some Preference panes. I have filed a feedback report.

Unable to swipe back with trackpad on the following preference panes:

* General
    * Security & Privacy
    * Notifications
    * Printers & Scanners
    * iCloud
    * Internet Accounts
    * Extensions
    * Network
    * Sharing
    * Users & Groups
    * Parental Controls
    * App Store
    * Dictation & Speech
    * Date & Time
    * Startup Disk
    * Time Machine
    * Accessibility

Able to swipe back with trackpad on the following preference panes:

* Desktop & Screensaver
    * Dock
    * Mission Control
    * Language & Region
    * Spotlight
    * CDs & DVDs
    * Displays
    * Energy Saver
    * Keyboard
    * Mouse
    * Trackpad
    * Sound
    * Bluetooth

Edit: Added Extensions & Network

12. campyguy macrumors 68030

Adding a new category:
    WTH?

* iCloud (see attached, got these after swiping "back", then "forward" with a Magic Trackpad)

I was able to duplicate these on my built-in rMBP trackpad, a Magic Trackpad, and an Intuos Pro M tablet (using the latest driver build).

Attached Files:

13. piller97 thread starter macrumors newbie