Anyway to get the LTE iPad onto TMobile's network?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by acarney, Sep 16, 2012.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

There's so much talk about TMobile doing everything they can to allow iPhone users to head on over but I'm wondering if there is any way to get a GSM iPad 3 onto TMobiles network? They aren't locked down devices, are they? Would a standard tmobile microsim allow the iPad to access their network? Hell, I wouldn't even mind paying the standard iPhone focused plans and using that in my iPad just for unlimited data... especially if it was a monthly based no contract plan!

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I believe they use AWS bands, the same as AT&T, but you should call them. The iPad is not locked.

3. dchao, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

Sadly, you are more like to be restricted to the pathetic 2G EDGE network speed. This is all due to unusual AWS 3G band T-Mobile uses.

T-mobile is slowly rolling out the 3G HSPA+ service (Apple call it 4G for some reasons) across the country. So you might have to wait for a long time. And it might be limited to use it in metropolitan cities.

4. jamaggic macrumors member

???

just do not get whatsup with T-mob,,, they readily admit they have over one million iphones on their system even though those users are stuck with 2g no 3g network... while at the same time they are complaining that they are the #3 provider in the nation and looking for ways to get new customers!!! If they would cater to iphone owners' just a little, like get us 3g for goodness sakes, they would open up a tidal wave of new customers with unlocked iphones (now thankfully available from Apple in US). I have four iphones on T-mob, but practically everyone I know would switch if 3g were available. Stop with the "rollout",,, just DO IT!!!

Gotta wonder where they got their MBAs...:cool:

5. Dkorda macrumors 6502

6. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I know the EDGE issue an such. Apparently they're starting to light up 1900mhz band in my area & already have it in Seattle and Portland. (The two areas I travel to a decent amount)

My real question is still on if I just need a standard micro sim from them. Will it work with any of the plans that they have that support iPhone? Do any of their tablet plans work? Can I jut get a micro sim from them & then activate or switch my pay as you go or post paid plan online or will they have to set it up in store? I'm not a huge fan of my tmobile staff, they're telling me the ONLY plan that they have that works with the iPhone is that new $50 everything plan when I went in askin for a sim to verify my phone was unlocked. Kinda just wanted like $10 of airtime credit on it... Not a "plan" >.<