Anyway to get your music on the cloud???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mechanesthesia, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mechanesthesia macrumors member

My biggest and possibly only real gripe with the iPhone is the capacity. I've been waiting since 2007 for a capacity bump big enough to accommodate how much music I have on my iPod. And trust me, I've had my iPod for 5 years, and I listen to it on shuffle mode every single day at work, while driving, while exercising, while reading, while doing pretty much anything. That's all I listen to, it's like a borg of music. It's about 40GB.

So I was so excited for 64GB with the leaks and everything... but then the keynote came out and... available in 16 and 32. WHAAAA??? O_O I was almost sure that it was going to have 64GB.

Sooo.... I CAN'T wait anymore for an iPhone. I just can't, it's been 3 years.

I remember posting somewhere and someone said something about being able to put your music online and access it via iPhone. I also saw an old article from last year saying you can upload your music to imeem and access it via your iPhone, but we all know what MySpace did to imeem!

So, any options at all? Are there any services that let you store your music on the cloud?

2. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Ive seen plenty that let you stream from your computer to your iPhone. Unless you can't turn on your computer while you're gone I dont see why you'd need to involve the cloud.

3. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

5. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Simplify Media does not offer that function anymore.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

They will more than likely release the 64GB iPod this September...as usual.

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Not that I know of, but then again I pretty much only put podcasts on my phone and then just have various Pandora streams set up - works for me.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

10. Duck117 macrumors member

The problem with downgrading your music to 128K is that you lose a lot of quality.

If you're not really that bothered about sound quality then that's the best option, change everything to 128K mp3.

FYI, if you have all your music set to that, and use apple earphones... you will hurt your ears badly. Apple earphones are AWFUL and they will distort your music badly, so if your music is already bad quality and distorted mp3s then.... you won't be hearing much when you're 80 years old.

The best option really is to go for the smallest possible storage on your iPhone... keep it to pictures and small video clips... and buy an iPod Classic.

11. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I beg to differ on the 128kbps part.
    Try this test http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/mp3-sound-quality-test-128-320/

You definitely lose some quality. But it may not be as terrible as everyone says it is.

12. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

If you have that much music, and shuffle the whole library then it sounds like you're happy with whatever it plays. So, just use Pandora - you'll get the same results if not better.

13. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Try using Dropbox. It's not as convenient as true cloud-storage of music integrated with the iPod app, but it's workable.

14. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

Whoa Jman! Those sites are awesome! Thanks!!! :)

Now just seeing if any of those are compatible with last.fm :p

I'll also try out dropbox too.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch