Anyway to have a muted icon at the top of the screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j2ee, Oct 16, 2015.

1. j2ee Suspended

j2ee

After using the top left side key to set mute, a notice appear for like 2 seconds then no way to tell anymore, touch the real physical key is hard to tell it is at mute status or not. So anyway to keep a status at top of the screen?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreak. Install OpenNotifier.

If you prefer to stay stock you are out of luck.

3. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

No idea why apple doesnt include this basic function

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Bc then thats one less feature they will use for the iPhone 7. lol

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

That's what the bright orange strip on the mute switch signifies.

No need to even turn on the screen.

6. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

What are you talking about?

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Same thing you are.

Attached Files:

8. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

ok.....:confused:stone age style

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It works all the time, and uses zero energy to indicate status. Why fix it?

10. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

How to tell when there isnt enough light

11. Rackness01 macrumors member

If it is too dark to see the orange indicator or the orientation of the switch you can tell by touch.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have more than once in the last several months taken my iPhone out of my pocket, put it on my desk and never checked the "orange" strip.

Only to wonder why my screen lights up but I get no sound. Then only to realize with aggravation that while in my pocket the mute switch turned on.

It's irritating to have to check to see if it accidentally switched on whenever I pull it out of my pocket.

Thankfully, for those times I am jailbroken I know right away when a silent notification comes in that my phone is on mute because OpenNotifier puts the mute icon right on the screen.

This is one of the reasons I jailbreak. You guys can argue for the orange strip all you want but I'll be using the JB method of having it on my screen.

13. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

It would be nice to have a muted logo on the top of the screen but I guess it's just Apple being stubborn about keeping their OS clean. Too much stuff on the screen and it starts to look like Android and we all know Apple don't want that at all. This is my same theory for why Battery Percentage isn't turned on as standard, even though it's one of the first settings most people change.

I really wouldn't agree that it's worth Jailbreaking for though, it's more just one of those things that you're not 100% happy about but you can adapt to live with.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If you're not getting any alert tones, and your phone doesn't ring when someone calls you...then you're on mute.:D

15. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

My method for this is just to flick the switch in my pocket when. The phone vibrates when you switch to silent so then you can tell where you are and toggle to suit.

16. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

ho no.......

17. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

So my wife can only find out after her boss cannot find her!:eek::eek::eek:

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You're looking for the solution to a problem I don't experience. I always remember when I've put my phone on mute. I've had iPhones for the past six years so I'm just in with the whole deal.

19. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

I use Android, and I think even this basic thing cannot be seen on screen is very not reasonable.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If that were the only thing I did not want to change about iOS then I'd live with it. But it's just one stone in the creekbed of things I change whenever there is a jailbreak.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I always remember when I purposely put my iPhone on mute too. It's the times that I don't do it on purpose that makes this something I use.

22. sunking101, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

image.jpeg
    I agree that there should be an icon, I'm just saying that I remember when my phone is muted or not and so I don't run into any problems. It must also be said that as I use Assistive Touch, I'm notified there of my muted/unmuted status several times a day.

23. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Oh yeah, completely understand that. I don't imagine many people would be upset enough about an icon to Jailbreak for it but I just thought I'd say that I didn't think it was worth it anyway. :)

24. cynics macrumors G3

I don't see the harm in displaying on the screen whether its on or off. Personally I would prefer it in control panel and no switch at all however I completely understand some people may not like that especially if you want to switch it without removing the device from your pocket.

As far as the feel and looking for orange paint or whatever, well that an archaic way of doing things. Imagine if all your devices with switches (like a power indicator) had an orange sticker instead. While the iPhone doesn't do it for the same reason thats a very common trait of very cheap and/or very old electronics.

And besides...

FullSizeRender.jpg

25. rmpbklyn macrumors newbie

rmpbklyn

because the case covers it LOL- lifeproof water resistant, and it don't change that button if you go to accessibility and change the setting to mute. it's not a permant setting when you turn off phone it contiuallly goes back to muted on start up