Anyway to install OSX without a DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JamesWilson, Jun 29, 2009.

1. JamesWilson macrumors newbie

Hello! I have a MacBook with a broken superdrive, it does not like dual layer disks.

The MacBook does not have a OS on it, I'm trying to put leopard.

Is there anyway to install it without a dvd drive or firewire?

I have a windows computer, and a 8gb thumbdrive.

I can put the MacBook's harddrive into my windows computer, is there anyway I can copy the disk onto that?

Thanks for any help

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You could possibly install the OS onto the HD using your Windows computer. I'm really not sure...

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

You can't put a HFS+ (Mac formatted) drive into a PC - it won't even know that it's there. Your best bet is to use an external DVD ROM drive via USB and hold C to boot to it. That's pretty much your only viable option - one of your friends has to have an external drive... :)

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

if you got a friend with a mac and fire wire available you can install it that way

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I read sometime back that you can enable remote disk (a formerly MacBook Air-unique feature) using the following Terminal commands:

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
    defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

You'd of course have to install the DVDCDSharingSetup.exe in the DVDCDSharing folder on the gray Mac OS X Install Disc onto a Windows system or just make certain the Migration and DVD and CD Sharing Update is installed on your MacBook and on the Mac you would attempt to remote disk from.

terminal commands referenced from this site: http://www.itechster.com/2009/01/11/mac-remote-disc-dvd-cd-sharing/

6. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

The Macbook has no OS on it so this would be impossible.

If you have a USB key of 8GB or more you can rip the Leopard image and burn it to that. I'm pretty sure you can't do that with a Windows PC though. You would have to find someone with a Mac and use disk utility.

Then again, if you know someone with an Intel Mac it would be easier to use target disk mode.