Anyway to install Snow Leopard from an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darbyclash34, Aug 31, 2009.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2007
    Is it possible to install Snow Leopard from a disc image on an external drive?
  2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    Just put the DVD into your drive and boot off that.
  3. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2007
    Thats the problem, my internal DVD drive is failing and I don't have access to an external. But I have access to another Mac and an external drive. Before I buy snow leopard, I want to make sure I have a way to install the software.
  4. utwarreng macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2009
    I asked pretty much the same question in another thread. Unfortunately no help thus far. I remember reading about people doing it from flash drives, so I'd assume an external hard drive is easily doable.
  5. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

Feb 22, 2009
    Well if it helps any, I mounted the leaked 10.6 onto an external drive then installed to my MBP.
    Considering its the same build, I don't see why it wouldn't work. :)

PS Just waiting for my 10.6 disc to get here...
  6. TripleJJJ macrumors member

Aug 18, 2009
    Of course it's possible, you format the hdd in Mac OS X extended, then create an image of the SL DVD, restore it to the HDD and boot on it. Then you'll be able to install SL from the hdd. I did it. Google is your Friend.:)
  7. Latro macrumors member

Mar 23, 2008
  8. glossywhite macrumors 65816

Feb 28, 2008
    1/ Put the DVD in the other Mac

2/ Connect both macs via FireWire

3/ Shut down your Mac (the one you're installing onto)

4/ Reboot the other Mac, holding down "T" as you do, until you see a yellow firewire screensaver

5/ Startup your Mac, holding down [OPTION] (also labelled 'alt') key, until you see the other Macs DVD icon listed - click the arrow in the circle directly underneath it, and you can start the install